You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Slow on first launch returns

I think is's not really a problem of the 3 AFF apps, but since the actualization to the last Sonoma version (14.3) in my M1 Mac, the ultraslow first launch that we used to have before M1 has returned: frequently more than 30 seconds after dock-click lasts to appear the AFF window. Its probably an OS problem, but it's annoying. It happens only on the first launch after computer (re)start, next launches are near instantaneous, as we used to.

Hello,

I think this has nothing to do with the last update to Sonoma 14.3.

The slow start of the 3 apps (AF Designer, AF Photo, AF Publisher)
happened to me when I switched from AF Designer and AF Photo 1.10.8 to the
Universal 2 started. The same behavior as with "eluengo" is also the case for me.

The apps take 30 seconds or longer to start for the first time.

Once you have started the app once, opening it twice will be faster.

I've read about the apps starting slowly several times in the forum.
but unfortunately there is no solution for this yet.

--
Apple 2020 Mac Mini M1 Chip (16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD)
Affinity V2 Universallizenz 2.3.1 + always latest beta

• 2 weeks later...

For info, same issue here.

In whole scheme of things it sounds ridiculous having to take 30 seconds out of your life, but somehow it does matter!

Thanks

v2.4.1 Designer/Photo/Publisher | Mac mini (M1, 2020) | Sonoma 14.4.1

Hello,

Unfortunately I haven't found a solution yet as to what could be the problem.
I use a Macmini with M1 processor 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD.
But for me it takes 30 seconds to start the apps again before the program opens.

But it seems I'm not the only one having this problem.

Is there perhaps an idea what this could be?

--
Apple 2020 Mac Mini M1 Chip (16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD)
Affinity V2 Universallizenz 2.3.1 + always latest beta

On 2/12/2024 at 10:03 AM, Aurea Ratio said:

Oh, I think the update to macOS 14.3.1 actually did fix this delay.

No, I noticed it on 14.3.1 (Intel) with Publisher.

And I was among the people who thought it was fixed for apps downloaded directly from the Serif Store rather than the Mac App Store, even though Serif themselves have said it is not. Unless you sit there with a stopwatch, it is hard to subjectively judge these things.

Briefly, this is said to be macOS scanning the app for viruses. For what it’s worth, Apple’s own Xcode, which is the largest app I have on my system, is also very slow to start up now. Apple have tightened this up in recent major versions I think, so it now scans on every first launch after boot (at least).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm experiencing it too. Serif's programs aren't the only ones with this slow initial startup, but I definitely think they are by far the worst and slowest. By a large margin.

Could it be these gigantic 3GB universal files that Serif still delivers in, causing the waiting time? It could make some sense if we're waiting for macOS to establish a sandbox at startup.

Experienced Quality Assurance Manager - I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces.