You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selecting text in text box causes Affinity Publisher to crash

I am using Affinity Publisher v2.3.1

Steps to reproduce:

Open attached package document in Affinity publisher (the original document is created in Affinity Design, I was using Publisher to get the text flowing between the boxes and adjust hyphenation, etc). Select the first text box in the right art board. Next, click into the text box to edit it. Begin holding the Shift key, begin selecting text using the down arrow. The application will crash as soon as you select the second to the last line of text.

It seems to be fairly reproducible on my machine, but a couple of times, when trying to record the video, it didn't crash. Maybe recording the video had to do something with it. I can't say for sure. It seemed that maybe being zoomed in such that the next text box, into which the text would flow, was not visible may have had an impact on the crash, or at least more reliably reproduced it. Hopefully, this info is helpful.

In the zip is the afpackage file, the fonts and image that are used in the document. There is a full system information dump text file and I also included a few crash dumps from affinity crash report folder under the user profile. There is also a video showing the crash.

Please note that the image included is not public domain, and the text is copyrighted, so it is fine to use for debugging, but should not be used in any advertising, publication, demo, etc. It is being included here solely to assist the developers in reproducing the problem.

If the info is not public you should not post it here. The moderators can provide a private upload link later.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi pstrjds,

I'm having some trouble replicating this here at my end I'm afraid. Please could you tell me if this issue still occurs when you copy the text box into a new document and try from there? It also might be handy if you could provide a screenshot of your Affinity apps performance preferences so I can try using the same settings here.

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

I can reliably reproduce it on my end if I zoom in such that the second text box is not visible, only the one where I am currently selecting. It does seem that the zoom has a lot to do with it. Is there a verbose logging flag that I can launch affinity with so that you get more details?

I have some further feedback for reproducing the issue. It appears two things are necessary:

1. You must have the Bulgarian language dictionary and hyphenation dictionaries installed and setup in Affinity

2. Auto-hyphenation must be enabled under the paragraph settings.

If I turn off auto-hyphenation, no crash when selecting. If I enable auto-hyphenation, crash when the selection is growing, crossing from one text box into the next text box.

I am attaching the Bulgarian dictionaries.

image.png.8b6648b42f577ed4499a2283170f80e1.png

image.png.2b234b10dd9c1e255f8980ed285dec7f.png

bg_BG.zip

• Staff

Hi pstrjds,

I'm still struggling to recreate this here unfortunately and so far we have only had one other report of this issue please could you tell me if this issue occurs with all fonts or just this one and if you are using more than one monitor?

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi Callum,

I have made multiple changes to the file on my end as it is an active project and I deleted the stuff that I sent you folks as I figured I wouldn't need it anymore. My workaround was to turn off auto-hyphenation. I then was able to select and overwrite the text I was replacing. Once I did my paste, I turned auto-hyphenation back on and all was well.

I use only a single monitor, which is the laptop screen on my Asus Tuf506IU.

I can tell you 100% that the auto-hyphenation is what caused the issue on my end. I could make it crash every time, regardless of my zoom level. Hopefully, that tidbit can help someone else if they run into this. I had hoped the main file and the crash dumps would be enough to help. From my side, I have worked around the issue, so no need to keep a support ticket open or anything like that. One question for future reference, are there CLI flags or a JSON config file that I can adjust to enable more verbose logging? I would be happy to do that if I run across this or some other problem in the future.