You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher crashes when opening files

• Staff
5 minutes ago, R C-R said:

As mentioned above in the last post by @Dan C, the bug has been fixed in the current v2.4.0 beta, so it should make it into the next retail release.

Just to confirm, my post is specifically regarding the Preflight Spelling crash that James999 reported - as this is the issue that is fixed in the current beta v2.4.

Unfortunately I have not dealt with the thread previous to this report, and I can see the original issue raised by Brian_J was handled by @Lee_T.

I'm currently unsure of the outcome of their testing with the files/information that Brian_J provided, though I will be sure to request that Lee replies here ASAP with this information.

I hope this clears things up :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Update: Disregard my comments below. I successfully opened four files and was working in the Table Formats Panel, and Affinity Publisher crashed. And now, the app crashes when any one of the four files is opened.

###

I discovered that if I close the Pages Panel and Master Pages Panel prior to opening Affinity Publisher files, the app does not crash when files are opened... at least, no crashes to this point. (I haven't tried closing only the Pages Panel and leaving the Master Pages Panel open.)

If closing the the Pages Panel does, in fact, fix the issue, perhaps doing so is related to the fix that Patrick pointed out:

On 1/17/2024 at 1:46 AM, Patrick Gilmour said:

So, when I double-click the file and it opens, it shows the artwork in the Publisher window for a second to two then it crashes the app.

However, if I do the same then quickly, while the content displays but before the expected crash, click on one of the page icons in the Pages (not Master Pages) panel, then click on another then another the app does not crash.

Totally weird, but it works every time. And when I don't, it crashes every time.

Note: Do not double-click a page icon, as the app still crashes if I do that. Just click once, then another.

I tried Patrick's solution a number of times with mixed results. It seemed that if I clicked several page thumbnails in the Pages Panel before the page content rendered (when the thumbnails are blank white page) I had more success in preventing the app from crashing. But I couldn't determine with certainty what worked or didn't work with this method.

I'll provide an update if I experience a crash when opening files with the Pages and Master Pages panels closed.

Edited by Brian_J
What I thought fixed the issue did not actually fix it.

Windows 10 22H2, 32GB RAM | Affinity Designer, Photo, Publisher 2 (MSI/EXE)

• Staff

Hi Brian, 

Apologies for the delay getting back to you.

Unfortunately we're unable to recreate these crashes on Win 10 or 11. Could you please test the file whilst disabling FileZilla FTP, Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive and Adobe CoreSync? There's a possibility one of these may be causing issues.

Lee

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2024 at 2:25 AM, Lee_T said:

Could you please test the file whilst disabling FileZilla FTP, Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive and Adobe CoreSync? There's a possibility one of these may be causing issues.

I disable the apps as suggested, but doings so did not resolve the issue.

I’ve gotten in the habit of opening the affected files with the Pages Panel and Master Pages Panel closed. As I mentioned in my previous comment, I thought closing those panels before opening files fixed the issue… then I experienced a crash with the Pages Panel and Master Pages Panel closed; but the crash didn’t occur when opening the files. I don’t know if closing the Pages Panel and Master Pages Panel before opening files has any effect, but I haven’t experienced any crashes recently when opening files.

Windows 10 22H2, 32GB RAM | Affinity Designer, Photo, Publisher 2 (MSI/EXE)