You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New Photo 2.4 Beta gives point-of-no-return message, please explain

Since several months, I am working with the Affinity Photo Beta versions, as they solve several issues (opencl and switching language).

A few days ago, installing the latest V2.4 version a "point-of-not return" warning message popped up - saying that from now on all by Beta edits are no longer compatible with the regular V2 apps.

Please explain.

How long are my beta-edits incompatible with you regular product?

Do I have to stay on Beta forever?

• Staff

This has always been the case for beta versions that are ahead of the retail (right now 2.4.x beta, 2.3.x retail). It happens whenever we add new features or change core functions, so you might find that once 2.4 is out for retail, a subsequent 2.4 beta will not be backward compatible. 

44 minutes ago, mthorner said:

Essentially, until we release 2.4 retail. 

1 hour ago, mthorner said:

Since several months, I am working with the Affinity Photo Beta versions, as they solve several issues (opencl and switching language).

A few days ago, installing the latest V2.4 version a "point-of-not return" warning message popped up - saying that from now on all by Beta edits are no longer compatible with the regular V2 apps.

Please explain.

Do I have to stay on Beta forever?   

Honestly it surprises me that there even is a message about this 'point of no return' in beta software. That's pretty darn cool and user friendly that Serif doesn't have to do. I've never seen that in any other software so far as normally people know that using beta versions is ot own risk always. +1 for Serif on this customer friendly thing for greatly thinking along!

5 hours ago, MmmMaarten said:

Honestly it surprises me that there even is a message about this 'point of no return' in beta software. That's pretty darn cool and user friendly that Serif doesn't have to do. I've never seen that in any other software so far as normally people know that using beta versions is ot own risk always. +1 for Serif on this customer friendly thing for greatly thinking along!

This is no surprise to me. Affinity is extremely non-backward compatible, each new release version typically adds new functionality that means that even a minor version older cannot open files from the latest release, e.g. 2.3 will almost certainly not open files from v2.4.

This also applies to beta versions, and there are a number of people here who have created files in beta versions or overwritten files from release versions with beta versions that they could not open with release versions. 

This has caused some customers problems that they have unhappily reported here in the forum. As a result, Serif has added this warning with the great open as copy functionality after these reports from unhappy customers appeared.

I'd call it more of a good example of a feedback loop that results in fixes customers have asked for and needed to everyone's satisfaction.

I simply no longer believe that there are any professional graphic designers here. Everything follows suit. Just everything.