You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Remove "noise"

I have 180 pages looking like my sample. The "noise" is in text end drawings, but the problem for me is the text, since text recognition having problem with danish letters, and the placing of the chords between the lines does not seams lineup either - I´m looking at 10-15 minuts of manuel cleaning the photos that's 3-4 days work - or I could manuel type in everything but I would properly just end up taking longer...

I mad it as PDF with 30 sheets pr file, and im having no problem importing and adding a mask layer and export it again - so if there is a way to reduce the noise, I now its still gonna be a bit of a job - but if I could remove every smal cluster (like 10-30px spots) of "non white" pixel, I would be a break through.

I´m using this project to learn the "layer" skill again (was using photoshop for years back in 2000-2010) of non destructive work flow and editing, so I welcome the work, but there must bee a smart filter function I can't figure.

And btw, th paper is 30 years old and have been in use almost every week since, so I can't get the scan better then this 300dpi bw file

Hope you have som ideas?

Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 20.56.56.png

In APhoto try the Live Dust & Scratches filter with Blend Mode set to Vivid Light 

dustandscratches.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thanks - it takes a lot of the noise for a quick job! On print it looks "bold" in a way and the original look is gone, its better wit radius 3 and "reflect" I think, and that will do the job for now, so thanks for taking me in that direction!

But is there a way to only target the small pixel cluster - I don't mind doing 2 minuts of manual work to "keep" the original "vibe" of the typewriter its made on back in the day - im justing looking for time saver by removing the very small parts, but without compromising the "crispiness and faulty text from the 1989 handmade typewriter" it's from a oldschool-campfire-sangbook I just need to make a box of ekstra copies for the time we are many. tanks again!

1 hour ago, TypeTosse said:

original look is gone

Convert the cleaned text with OCR, and then use an identical/similar font.

For example Nimbus Mono (+ Gaussian blur):
image.png.f3182f61cfb353d6765a1a04f1f89672.png

Edited by Pšenda

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

If the grid is not part of the image, and the background is a consistent colour, it shouldn’t take more than a few minutes to paint over the spots with the Paint Brush Tool.

If the grid is not part of the image, and the background is not a consistent colour, then the Blemish Removal Tool might be a better option, or the Healing Brush Tool, or the Inpainting Brush Tool.

Any of these tools will, if used correctly, leave the text intact and unchanged.