You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF file size bigger than before

I have one affinity publisher file around 700 pages with 4000++ hyperlinks. I exported the file to PDF and the exported PDF size is around 25mb. After I made 2 or 3 amendment (such as relink to correct page), coincidentally that time version 2.3 launched so I updated the affinity softwares and then export the file to PDF again. Oh my, it took longer to export, like around 6 hour to export a file to PDF. Not only, the new exported PDF size is almost twice than before, around 40mb++! Can you explained why is that? Can you please tell me how to revert back the old PDF size 20mb++? (PS: for the export setting I set the same ones.

@stokerg Thanks for reach to help. I just done upload it to the dropbox. I would appreciate if you let me know why create & rename hyperlinks take up times, export to PDF slower than before, file size bigger than before. I really want to know what's the problem so I will know what to do at the future. I love your Affinity softwares for the ease use, but I wish you can made adding hyperlinks, rename hyperlinks, export to PDF these tasks quicker and simpler as I mostly design digital planners.

• Staff

Hi @Stephanie Y,

Thanks for the file.

What PDF settings are you using for the export?  I should have asked that before, sorry.

I've just exported using the PDF Digital High Quality setting and the export didn't take longer than a minute and the exported PDF was 2.6MB in size.

From checking our known bugs and issues, there were a couple of issues with slow editing and updating a file with a large amount of hyperlinks and improvements were made.  I'll leave a comment on one of the reports and see if there's a possibility for further improvements and use your file as the example :) 

@stokerg it is okay, below is my export setting. 

Aww less than a minute and the exported PDF only 2.6MB size? I wish can get the size like this... Sigh... where did I go wrong...? 

Mind to know what kind of computer you are using? Mine is iMac 2019, 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5, Graphics: Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, Memory: 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, ios Sonoma 14.1.2, Storage 250GB (I used 96 GB). Is the issue related to computer performance? Or not?

Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 5.28.02 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 5.31.59 PM.png

• Staff

Hi @Stephanie Y,

Thanks for the screenshots :) 

This isn't related to your Mac, so don't worry about that.  Can you try deleting the numbers 1-697 from the Pages box and then export again.  As you have the Area set to All Pages and are exporting all the pages, there's no need to enter a page range into that box, which is what appears to be causing the problem.  But if you can try that and let me know about the export speed and the size of the PDF that would be great :) 

• Staff
19 minutes ago, Stephanie Y said:

it is only export until 15 page. Not the 697 page... 

Very odd, as mine is the full 697 pages.

Do you get an error during the export or does the export complete and you are just left with 15 pages?

• Staff

Hi @Stephanie Y,

So I just went back to double-check this and looks like I got my files in a mixed up and was looking at the larger PDF, which does have all the pages in!  The smaller one i've exported does only have 15 pages in and I really can't see why only 15 pages would be exported for us both :( 

I'll do some more looking into this but at least I'm able to replicate everything you've said, so that does make it a bit easier :) 

• Staff

Hi @Stephanie Y,

Good news! I was just speaking with another member of the Tech Team and mentioned about this issue and they were able to point out why only 15 pages are being exported.  If you click Window>Section Manager, only the 1st section has a tick in 'Include in export', all the other sections don't have a tick in that box.  Ticking that box for each section, will then export ALL pages to PDF :) 

However, the PDF export will now be going very slow again, which I'll need to get logged with the Developers.

@stokerg hai, I already ticked all the section "including export", and then export it without fill the number 1-697. It become very slow like last time...

Anyway, I'm glad and really appreciate that you help to looking into this issue. Please let me know any updates or solutions for these issues. Thank you for took time to check problems with me. 😊

I may be wrong, but I very much suspect this issue relates to the PDF Library update in version 2.2...

As a simple test, I created a 300 dpi, 697 page A4 Publisher document in Publisher v2.0.4. On each page, I added 6 hyperlinks (nothing else) so the complete document contains 4,182 hyperlinks in total. I then exported the document using the default PDF (digital - high quality) preset from both Publisher 2.0.4 which uses the PDFlib+PDI 9.3.1-i library and Publisher 2.3.0 which uses the PDFlib+PDI 10.0.0p1-i library.

• The v2.0.4 exported PDF is 1.5 MB (1,532,886 bytes)
  • The v2.3.0 exported PDF is 2.7 MB (2,735,293 bytes)

This is a 78.44% increase in the exported PDF file size.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2430)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm having a similar issue too. My document has hyperlinks, is just under 700 pages long, and exporting as a small digital document, results in a file size of around 30MB.

Thanks Hangman for the suggestion. Unfortunately, when I reinstalled version 2.0.4, affinity did not allow me to open the afpub documents as it said that it had features of the newer affinity versions. 

I've tried many ways to attempt to reduce the file size on export, but haven't been successful.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you! 

Jemima

Hi @jemima and welcome to the forums,

A Couple of Questions

1. In addition to the hyperlinks what is the makeup of your document, is it text heavy, image heavy or a mix of both?
  2. If images are included, which colour space do they use?
  3. Have you experimented with different JPEG Quality settings to find the optimal tradeoff between quality and file size?
  4. How will the PDF be consumed, online only, via email?
  5. 700 pages is a large document so depending on the content, it is likely to be reasonably large. What file size are you anticipating?

I've just run a quick test using a 136 page document which is a 50/50 mix of text and images, exporting using the PDF (digital - small size) preset and adjusting the JPEG compression which resulted in:

JPEG Compression 100% - 22.8 MB
JPEG Compression 90% - 13.6 MB
JPEG Compression 80% - 11.7 MB
JPEG Compression 70% - 10.8 MB
JPEG Compression 60% - 10.2 MB
JPEG Compression 50% - 9.5MB

The key is finding the optimal compression to ensure any images are of acceptable quality...

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2430)

On 1/14/2024 at 3:17 AM, Hangman said:

Hi @jemima and welcome to the forums,

A Couple of Questions

1. In addition to the hyperlinks what is the makeup of your document, is it text heavy, image heavy or a mix of both?
  2. If images are included, which colour space do they use?
  3. Have you experimented with different JPEG Quality settings to find the optimal tradeoff between quality and file size?
  4. How will the PDF be consumed, online only, via email?
  5. 700 pages is a large document so depending on the content, it is likely to be reasonably large. What file size are you anticipating?

I've just run a quick test using a 136 page document which is a 50/50 mix of text and images, exporting using the PDF (digital - small size) preset and adjusting the JPEG compression which resulted in:

JPEG Compression 100% - 22.8 MB
JPEG Compression 90% - 13.6 MB
JPEG Compression 80% - 11.7 MB
JPEG Compression 70% - 10.8 MB
JPEG Compression 60% - 10.2 MB
JPEG Compression 50% - 9.5MB

The key is finding the optimal compression to ensure any images are of acceptable quality...

THANK YOU for posting this solution! I was having the same issue of HUGE PDF file size on exporting press ready file. By choosing 85% JPG compression I was able to reduce a 360 page book from 950MB to 430MB with no appreciable visual difference. It'll print fine. This has saved me enormous amounts of time in trying other ways to reduce the file and worked in one click! Yay! 

Hi @SueC,

That’s really good to hear, I’m glad this is a workable, one click solution for your project in terms of reducing the file size… 😊