You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD & AP: Brush size panel

I know many might not think this is a very sexy feature, but I'd like to suggest adding a brush size panel to the interface in both Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer. Yes, there are keyboard shortcuts, the width dropbox, and even the dial on my drawing tablet. But somehow, I just find the ability to get the exact size of brush I want with a single click much nicer than scrolling or scrubbing up and down each size increment. It feels faster and less intrusive.

I hope you'll consider this, thanks for reading!

5 hours ago, DragonWhimsy said:

adding a brush size panel

You mean this?
image.png.c79799b0ccb29ff314add007d00ca1b4.png

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

9 minutes ago, fde101 said:

???

You certainly know that it is not necessary to enter the size of the brush only using the "dropbox" and the slider contained in it, which is not optimal for precise work and entering "exact size" (as the OP also mentions), but it is possible to enter the size here not only by directly entering a numerical value, but also using the scroll wheel (+-1, +Shift +-10, +Ctrl +-0.1). Otherwise, I don't know how the OP would imagine easier input in some "specific panel".

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

7 minutes ago, debraspicher said:

They're likely suggesting something like this. I use this panel a ton for inking jobs where I only stick to a few widths for consistency:

Thanks for the explanation. However, this should also be done with the existing Brush panel - it is a bit laborious, but it is not a problem to create a sample of your own brushes and their sizes for reasons of consistency.

32 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

Thanks for the explanation. However, this should also be done with the existing Brush panel - it is a bit laborious, but it is not a problem to create a sample of your own brushes and their sizes for reasons of consistency.

You're stating your own opinion as fact, when in fact, it is not. This is a standard panel that exists in other programs and it's a fantastic feature. Having different widths available to switch between makes experimenting on the fly much easier for trying to find the "perfect" width for an ink job. Having to create different brushes for different widths (for the same brush) is unneeded bloat to the Brush presets.

Anyway, +1 to OP's suggestion (if this is in fact what they are suggesting they would like?)

20 hours ago, debraspicher said:

it's a fantastic feature

Although setting the size of the brush is probably the most common, depending on the type of work (what the brush is used for) it is also necessary to change the Hardness of the brush and its Opacity (or Flow) often. In my opinion, a panel where all these "operating" parameters of the brush, not only its size, can be conveniently and quickly set would be useful. Something like here:
image.png.3fabcec3d89be748d06c6e149cc8bda8.png

Of course, it would be optimal if the user could set the individual items and their number according to his needs and the type of work he does.

P.S. Unfortunately, I did not understand this - maybe a problem with the translation.

20 hours ago, debraspicher said:

You're stating your own opinion as fact, when in fact, it is not.

That this is "my own opinion" is probably obvious from the nature of the discussion forum, where own/personal opinions are always represented.
And that it is possible to replace the brush size enter panel with pre-prepared brush definitions, where other important parameters will be entered (which can be an advantage in many cases), is simply a "fact" - it is possible. Of course, it is up to each user whether he will wait a few years for the implementation of a specific panel, or whether he will use some solution to facilitate and speed up his work processes - that is also a fact 🙂

On 12/6/2023 at 11:35 AM, debraspicher said:

You're stating your own opinion as fact, when in fact, it is not. This is a standard panel that exists in other programs and it's a fantastic feature. Having different widths available to switch between makes experimenting on the fly much easier for trying to find the "perfect" width for an ink job. Having to create different brushes for different widths (for the same brush) is unneeded bloat to the Brush presets.

Anyway, +1 to OP's suggestion (if this is in fact what they are suggesting they would like?)

You are correct. That is indeed what I am suggesting. I should have provided an image I suppose. Sorry for any confusion. 

On 12/6/2023 at 10:58 AM, Pšenda said:

That really doesn't solve the problem because it assumes the user always uses the same brush sizes in every project and does so with the same exact brushes every time. If those two conditions are not true, then to use your workaround is to create a huge amount of what are essentially duplicate brushes that clog up the brush panel. You suggest this should just be done in the brush panel but even you admit that your workaround is "a bit laborious." 

It's true this wouldn't be a major feature, but it IS a nice quality-of-life feature for some users. It takes the "a bit laborious" out of the equation and just makes the experience of using the brushes flow naturally and feel better to use. And a nice bonus on top of that is this is unlikely to require much of Serif's resources to implement. 

4 hours ago, Pšenda said:

Although setting the size of the brush is probably the most common, depending on the type of work (what the brush is used for) it is also necessary to change the Hardness of the brush and its Opacity (or Flow) often. In my opinion, a panel where all these "operating" parameters of the brush, not only its size, can be conveniently and quickly set would be useful. Something like here:
image.png.3fabcec3d89be748d06c6e149cc8bda8.png

Of course, it would be optimal if the user could set the individual items and their number according to his needs and the type of work he does.

P.S. Unfortunately, I did not understand this - maybe a problem with the translation.

That this is "my own opinion" is probably obvious from the nature of the discussion forum, where own/personal opinions are always represented.
And that it is possible to replace the brush size enter panel with pre-prepared brush definitions, where other important parameters will be entered (which can be an advantage in many cases), is simply a "fact" - it is possible. Of course, it is up to each user whether he will wait a few years for the implementation of a specific panel, or whether he will use some solution to facilitate and speed up his work processes - that is also a fact 🙂

That's a really useful version of what I'm talking about. I like the idea as long as in the options for that panel you can pick which of the three you wish to display. Having all three in one panel like that is a really nice option to have. Is that from a specific program or did you mock that up?