You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Printing booklet - 4-up consecutive

Hi all,

can somebody help me? If I want print booklet, I need use 4-up consecutive option, but I can not find it in publisher. I need it for print book, previous book I created in indesigne, where it is (picture) It is some trick how to do it? Or some other option?

Thanks

403_indesignbookletstypes.png

Hi @Bartosovi and welcome to the forums,

I may be completely wrong as I'm not sure exactly how you need to print your document but I 'think' the option you may need is Booklet... that should allow you to create Printers Pairs but let us know if that is not what you need and a little more info about your file...

Booklet.png.cf98bce209292701d3f73e387fce2d6a.png

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Publisher provides only the Booklet option, which is described in the Help: https://affinity.help/publisher2/en-US.lproj/pages/Publishing/print.html

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

14 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Publisher provides only the Booklet option, which is described in the Help: https://affinity.help/publisher2/en-US.lproj/pages/Publishing/print.html

I tried that, but then I have 1 page total of 192 (my book is 192 pages, so it's first with the last), but I need a maximum 16 pages together for my typ of book . So is there any way I can create a PDF while printing which start 16 pages with 1 page. I want to create a book like in the picture. Or is there any other free software for this? I used Indesigne before, but now it is not solution for me... Thanks

IMG_4845.jpeg

Edited by Bartosovi

13 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Publisher provides only the Booklet option

While Publisher doesn't specifically provide a '4-up Consecutive' option is this not down to the print driver itself rather than Publisher... I can for example print using N-Up but that may well be different to '4-up Consecutive'...

N-Up.png.e1186221a04e3d7b88c8d9b2a1ac9bc1.png

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

Just now, Hangman said:

While Publisher doesn't specifically provide a '4-up Consecutive' option is this not down to the print driver itself rather than Publisher... I can for example print using N-Up but that may well be different to '4-up Consecutive'...

N-Up.png.e1186221a04e3d7b88c8d9b2a1ac9bc1.png

Thanks, but it's not the same. Here's how it works if you want to publish a real book:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/printing-booklets.html

You may need to Export a PDF (specifying Range: All Pages) then use some other software to impose the pages the way you need them.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

7 minutes ago, Bartosovi said:

I tried that, but then I have 1 page total of 192 (my book is 192 pages, so it's first with the last), but I need a maximum 16 pages together for my typ of book . So is there any way I can create a PDF while printing which start 16 pages with 1 page. I want to create a book like in the picture. Or is there any other free software for this? I used Indesigne before, but now it is not solution for me... Thanks

There is a known bug which as far as I'm aware has yet to be fixed which relates to subset Booklet printing, i.e., if you have a 192-page document and you want to print pages 1 to 16 as a booklet Publisher will still show page 1 coupled with page 192.

The only workaround I've found to this bug is to export the document to a PDF file first and then use a PDF reader, e.g., Acrobat Reader or Pro to print your file using the respective Booklet page range you need...

Edit: Walt beat me to it... 😀

Just now, walt.farrell said:

You may need to Export a PDF (specifying Range: All Pages) then use some other software to impose the pages the way you need them.

I think yes, but i dont know about some other free sotware when i can do it. So i dont have problem used other sotware. But I dont know which.

I know only about Indesigne, but it is so complikate... And expensive.

6 minutes ago, Hangman said:

There is a known bug which as far as I'm aware has yet to be fixed which relates to subset Booklet printing, i.e., if you have a 192-page document and you want to print pages 1 to 16 as a booklet Publisher will still show page 1 coupled with page 192.

The only workaround I've found to this bug is to export the document to a PDF file first and then use a PDF reader, e.g., Acrobat Reader or Pro to print your file using the respective Booklet page range you need...

Edit: Walt beat me to it... 😀

Yes, this bug is real problem for me!

2 minutes ago, Hangman said:

I haven't seen that bug reported. There was another one that I think was supposedly fixed already, that printed the first and last of the range on separate pages.

Even if it were fixed, to print a 192-page book in Booklet form like this you would need to print pages 1-16, then 17-32, then 33-48, etc. for a total of 12 separate Print operations if you do the printing in Publisher.

-- Walt
PC:

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

I haven't seen that bug reported. There was another one that I think was supposedly fixed already, that printed the first and last of the range on separate pages.

Even if it were fixed, to print a 192-page book in Booklet form like this you would need to print pages 1-16, then 17-32, then 33-48, etc. for a total of 12 separate Print operations if you do the printing in Publisher.

I was my first idea, it's admittedly for a long time, but easier than finding other sotware :D. But when I tried, there was a problem with this bug. I can show you...

19 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Here is it. 

2.JPG

52 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I haven't seen that bug reported.

It was definitely reported some time ago, I’ll see if I can find the bug reference and update my post accordingly but I retested this a couple of weeks ago and, as @Bartosovi has shown above, the bug still exists…

It’s an easy one to test but it will print correctly from Acrobat Reader after exporting as a PDF from Publisher, i.e., printing pages 1-16 as a Booklet from a 192 pages document will correctly print page 16 alongside page 1 along with the any sub page range printers pairs…

56 minutes ago, Bartosovi said:

but i dont know about some other free sotware when i can do it.

Acrobat Reader has a Booklet option in its Print process, but you'll need to break it down into page ranges, I think, if you want multiple signatures of some specific size.

-- Walt
PC:

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

Acrobat Reader has a Booklet option in its Print process, but you'll need to break it down into page ranges, I think, if you want multiple signatures of some specific size.

Not needed. You can select any page range in Acrobat Reader when printing using the Booklet format and it will correctly print the selected page range as printers pairs regardless of the page range selected from the overall number of pages in the file. This is the Publisher bug which fails to replicate this though from memory it works correctly in Publisher v1, i.e., this is a v2 bug…

2 minutes ago, Hangman said:

You can select any page range in Acrobat Reader when printing using the Booklet format and it will correctly print the selected page range as printers pairs regardless of the page range selected from the overall number of pages in the file

If I have a 32-page file, Acrobat Reader's default Booklet handling will print 1/32 together, 2/31, etc.

As I understand it, @Bartosovi wants 4-sheet (16-page) signatures, which from my experiment just now with Acrobat Reader means printing "n" times, where n = total/16. So for a 192-page book, it would mean printing 1-16, then 17-32, then ... in 12 separate print operations. (Just as would be needed in Publisher even if the bug didn't exist.)

-- Walt
PC:

I'll try, but I think this is the way to fro the result.

But how complicated is it to do it automatically? After all, it's just a matter of stacking the pages correctly and assigning crop marks for printing. Indesigne can't be the only program that can do this...

Actually, that's not really the question...

Sorry, I think we meant the same thing but I just misunderstood your post, yes for a 192-page book, it would mean printing 1-16, then 17-32, then... in 12 separate print operations but that’s the bit Publisher v2 fails to do but (from memory) V1 does correctly…

16 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I haven't seen that bug reported.

Hi @walt.farrell, I believe the bug reference is APL-1517.

• 1 month later...

I reported this bug almost a year ago.

In version 2.0 the bug doesn't exist, that is why i'm still using version 2.0 even with other updates.

I can use acrobat reader to impose, but i need bleed and crop marks.

Please, mark as a priority to solve this bug.  I want to use newer versions of publisher.

For me it's unbelivable that an improvement of 2.0  that cracked on version 2.0.4, couldn't be fixed on newer versions, even with a lot of reports.

On 12/6/2023 at 10:28 AM, Hangman said:

Hi @walt.farrell, I believe the bug reference is APL-1517.