You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush Opacity Issue

KCP

Before posting, I read through the forums to hopefully find a solution to my opacity problem. What I found was the suggestion to disable Wet Edges. As you can see in the first video, not only does it work in reverse on my machine, but also never achieves 100% opacity with anything other than basic brushes.

You'll also notice in the second video that there is no fluidity when brushing. The lag is impossible to work with. My machine is an Intel i7 with 32G of ram, which works fine with Adobe Photoshop. Please advise. 

Does this only happen with this particular brush or various brushes from different sets?

My first guess here – given the grey preview of the brush in the Brushes Panel – is that the brush has some transparency built-in – the non-transparent pixels in the image used to create the brush are not all 100% Opacity – so that differently coloured trees can be overlaid on top of each other more easily.

The brush you are using from the set has an 'Accumulation' in Brush Dynamics Set at 48%. Which is why it is appearing as transparent as you paint.
You could for a solid version: 
a. edit the brush to reset the brush to 100% accumulation
b. Duplicate the brush and set the copy to 100%

In V2 upwards you can just change the settings without permanently affecting the brush 

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2415
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

On 12/4/2023 at 4:34 PM, StuartRc said:

The brush you are using from the set has an 'Accumulation' in Brush Dynamics Set at 48%. Which is why it is appearing as transparent as you paint.
You could for a solid version: 
a. edit the brush to reset the brush to 100% accumulation
b. Duplicate the brush and set the copy to 100%

In V2 upwards you can just change the settings without permanently affecting the brush 

Thanks, Stuart. I'm still struggling a bit with tool-name translation after decades working in the Adobe Suite. Btw, do you have any insight about the brush lag issue? 

4 hours ago, KCP said:

Thanks, Stuart. I'm still struggling a bit with tool-name translation after decades working in the Adobe Suite. Btw, do you have any insight about the brush lag issue? 

Hi
Well sometimes I have issues with brush lagging; there are a few things you could try:
a. see if there is any difference by toggling hardware acceleration in settings (Settings [Control+,]) >Performance>Hardware acceleration
b. Refrain from using really large brush nozzles (The free brush set you refer to above uses a lot of large stamp type brushes! (Nozzles do not need to be large to be effective!)
c. Avoid setting the Brush 'Spacing' [Brush Editing Panel >General] to very low levels like 0 | 1-4. It is sort of dependant on the nozzle size and the gaps between the ink of the actual nozzle!
d. Limit the number of sub-brushes in the sub-brush panel (I usually just use 1 or 2)
e. Experiment with the brush dynamics.... using extremes like 100% for everything!
f. Restrict the number of nozzles actually used in brush + remember you can now re-order them 

Document size and res can influence it!

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2415
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

20 hours ago, StuartRc said:

Hi
Well sometimes I have issues with brush lagging; there are a few things you could try:
a. see if there is any difference by toggling hardware acceleration in settings (Settings [Control+,]) >Performance>Hardware acceleration
b. Refrain from using really large brush nozzles (The free brush set you refer to above uses a lot of large stamp type brushes! (Nozzles do not need to be large to be effective!)
c. Avoid setting the Brush 'Spacing' [Brush Editing Panel >General] to very low levels like 0 | 1-4. It is sort of dependant on the nozzle size and the gaps between the ink of the actual nozzle!
d. Limit the number of sub-brushes in the sub-brush panel (I usually just use 1 or 2)
e. Experiment with the brush dynamics.... using extremes like 100% for everything!
f. Restrict the number of nozzles actually used in brush + remember you can now re-order them 

Document size and res can influence it!

I tested the issue by going step-by-step through different brush settings and discovered that the primary cause of the lag is when I set the brush hardness to 100%. Backing it off just a few percent makes the brush responses exponentially faster. 

I had overall brush lag after some use. Rasterizing the individual layers seems to speed up things again. I suspect a build up of information stored with the layers gets reset when rasterizing, freeing up the stack. I discovered this recently so I'm not sure it will solve my brush lag issues permanently.

Windows 11 22H2 OS version 23601.1000, i5-12400f, NV GTX 1650 super, 32 GB RAM. 4K Display with 125% scaling.