You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

create a selection from a path, done with the drawing pen tool

I know it is possible to create a selection after I created a path around an object like so:

image.thumb.png.eb667f83c6ce08a5c5aed8d14c23efa8.png

Like this I have some tools to do, which might be not photographed for this purpose but also the automatic tools are not at all able to cretae a nearly perfect mask so I decided to do it old school but I cannot find the way to create a selection - as you may assume, yes finally I want to substract the thast long hole from the angle leg.

Thanks in advance and Kind regards,

Uwe

You can continue and create curves (vector shapes ) for the holes, and use Boolean add/subtract etc to create the final shape.

You can use this shape directly as mask, Just nest it to masking position of the image layer.

in case you prefer to have a raster mask, either use 

• selection from layer
  • rasterize to mask
  • channels panel, create spare channel from alpha channel of layer

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

5 minutes ago, Uwe-R-aus-B said:

I decided to do it old school but I cannot find the way to create a selection

Works if you are using Photo, you just need a fill in the curves layer. Select > Selection from layer.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 minute ago, Uwe-R-aus-B said:

If I do as adviced, nothing happens - so, what am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance, Uwe

You need to have a fill, some colour not clear, in the curve.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

The pixel selection, via "Selection From Layer", as I understand it, is taken from the visible colours in the shape/curve, whether that’s fill, stroke or both.

So, for instance, if you want to select all the pixels ‘within’ the shape/curve you need to give the shape/curve a fill.

However, if you only want to select the outline of the shape/curve you need to give the shape/curve a visible stroke, without a fill.

If the shape/curve has both a fill and visible stroke then the pixel selection will be taken from both the fill and stroke.