You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Placing a table from Word onto multiple pages V2

I'm trying to place a rather lengthy 3-column table from a Word document, but I can't get it to autoflow across multiple pages. Each time I try Shift-click on the text flow arrow, it jumps the whole table down onto the page directly below, leaving blank pages above, and the text flow arrow then becomes a red circle that I can't do anything with (see pic).

I also tried creating a matching table in Publisher and placed into the first cell of that, but the same thing happened and I was unable to flow into subsequent pages.

I'm using a double-spread Master page with correctly-linked text frames - am I going wrong somewhere, or is this still something that's not possible in V2, as discussed in this thread?

Screenshot 2023-11-12 163330.jpg

Grahame

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-core 3.6GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD, GeForce RTX-3060ti GPU, 64-Bit Windows 11
Affinity Publisher/ Designer/ Photo 1.10.6.1665 and 2.4.2

"I don't do fruit-based technology."

Publisher doesn't support multi-page Tables yet. You'll need to find a way to break the table into multiple pieces.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I was afraid that was the case. That's going to be rather tedious... 🤔

Ah well, thanks for the confirmation, Walt.

Grahame

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-core 3.6GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD, GeForce RTX-3060ti GPU, 64-Bit Windows 11

47 minutes ago, anto said:

Export the table to a PDF and then insert the pages with the table into the Publisher.

OK, that sort of works, but seems to lose my template and master pages of the document I'm trying to add the table to. How can I restore those?

Grahame

43 minutes ago, weegiegrum said:

OK, that sort of works, but seems to lose my template and master pages of the document I'm trying to add the table to. How can I restore those?

Re-apply masterpages again for imported pages.

Use Document-->Add pages from file

One way to fake a multi-page table in Publisher is to use inline text frames instead of tables.

Create a text frame with the required number of columns. Set the column widths and gutters exactly right because it will be too tedious to ever change them again. Set the frame height to the height of one row. It's probably best to middle align the text vertically.

Delete the text from the frame.

Use the move/duplicate feature to create lots of copies with no vertical space between them. Link these frames. Select the frames, cut.

Draw a text frame where the "table" should go and paste the cut frames into it. Copy and paste more frames as required, linking these to the first batch.

Type text into the frames, pressing Return between "cells".

Downsides: Eventually you'll have so many frames that Publisher will get sluggish. You can't make headers repeat automatically - if you add or remove a "row" (by cutting text) in this test doc, the headers on pages 2 and 3 will move, so you'd have to maintain those yourself. And rows of variable height won't work. But on the other hand, this "table" spans multiple pages because you're just editing text in the story of a linked series of frames.

Good luck

fake table.afpub

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

1 hour ago, MikeTO said:

. And rows of variable height won't work.

Yeah, that's not going to work in this case, the table rows all contain multiple lines of text so are different heights.

I'm going to have to leave it for now as I'm away next week. But thanks for the tips, all very helpful.

Grahame