You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color picker changes the tone of the entire image in Affinity Photo

-TR-

Hi,

When I paste an image into Affinity Photo, then use the color picker (which should be a passive tool, meaning, it shouldn't affect the current image in any way) - it completely changes the color tone of the entire image, depending on what color I click on.

What's worse, when I click outside the image boundaries, the image disappears altogether. Not sure why this is happening or how to fix it. All I want is to sample the color under the picker.

Here's a quick video demonstrating the problem.

Thanks,

TR

17 minutes ago, -TR- said:

the color picker (which should be a passive tool, meaning, it shouldn't affect the current image in any way)

And it is a "passive" tool, unless – as seen in your screencast – Apply To Selection is checked in the context toolbar which also seems to be the case by default.

In other words: user error, or "at best" a minor usability issue, but not a bug. ;) 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

5 hours ago, loukash said:

And it is a "passive" tool, unless – as seen in your screencast – Apply To Selection is checked in the context toolbar which also seems to be the case by default.

In other words: user error, or "at best" a minor usability issue, but not a bug. ;) 

I have had "Apply to selection" checked and do not get the issue that TR gets. Checked or unchecked, nothing changes

HOWEVER it does happen if you pate a new document from the clipboard so TR did find a bug as the "Apply to selection" is broken in both the release and the latest beta

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

4 minutes ago, Rick G said:

I have had "Apply to selection" checked and do not get the issue that TR gets. Checked or unchecked, nothing changes

It depends on the selected content in the Layers panel:

• "Pixel" type of layers/objects are not affected by the option.
  • Image, vector and text layers/objects are.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Hi,

From what I can tell, it behaves completely differently if the layer is of type Image or Pixel (rasterized) in a very unexpected behavior.

Furthermore, no selection was defined and yet the entire image was still modified (again, unexpected behavior for a "Apply To Selection" checkbox) by applying some visual algorithm I have no obvious control over.

Out of curiosity, why is it checked by default? I'm asking because that's a counter-intuitive behavior.

One final thing I noticed, if you have an Image layer and you modify the Secondary Color, it'll cause the entire image to undergo such color shift too. Again, it's unintuitive as to why this would happen, or how is the effect controlled.

Thanks,

TR

I agree that the behavior is not well document, and current help file is more misleading 

https://affinity.help/photo2/en-US.lproj/pages/Layers/layerImage.html

Image layers can be recolored much like an opened image or a pixel layer. If an image layer is drawn on, the layer will be rasterized and will adopt pixel layer properties. Rasterization is required to convert the image to the document's color space.

this totally ignores (or keeps secret) that image layers are effectively vector layers, and every vector layer can be recolored directly by choosing colors within color panel, and no rasterization will occour.

Never the less, the observed behavior is consistent since initial version in all Affinity apps.

I would suggest to improve the help text to explicitly mention that image layers can be recooked by choosing a color from color panel.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.