You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Failed to open file error

I keep getting the "Failed to open file" error.

I'm trying to reopen the file for editing and I keep getting this error, there are no other computer that I'm using for editing the photo and there are no other computer that is using the file. This is very troublesome.

Files is stored on a NAS, no other computer have access to it.

Are there any solutions?

thanks

Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 3.19.50 PM.png

Do you have the file open in another Affinity V2 application?

KicWhat kind of NAS?

If you look at the directory on the NAS, and look at Hidden files, do you see the ~lock~ file that represents the lock?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

21 hours ago, Pauls said:

Can you manually delete these lock files?

Yes, deleting the lock file will solve the problem, look like I'll need to delete lock file every time if I open the file stored on the Synology, this problem didn't exist with V1, only with v2.

• Staff

Hi @DSY,

As long as the file you have in Publisher is closed cleanly, the lock file should be deleted automatically.

Do you have any issues when closing one of your files?  If you open one of your files from your NAS drive in Publisher and then use File>Close, is the lock file then deleted?

On 11/2/2023 at 9:25 PM, stokerg said:

Hi @DSY,

As long as the file you have in Publisher is closed cleanly, the lock file should be deleted automatically.

Do you have any issues when closing one of your files?  If you open one of your files from your NAS drive in Publisher and then use File>Close, is the lock file then deleted?

I'm having this problem with Affinity Photo, not sure about the Publisher or Designer, maybe those will have similar problems as Photos, I'm not sure.

No issues when closing files, no error message or anything out of the normal, I usually close the file by click the close window bottom, and then save the file when the window come out.

2 hours ago, stokerg said:

Hi @DSY,

Can you also check to see if you have any crash reports, to find the reports see here.  If there's more than 1 report, please just upload the latest one and we can get the others if needed :) 

No records in the crash report related to any affinity apps.