You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AF-Photo 2.2 Loading linked file from network drive

Demys

Hi,

I'm working on file wich use linked exr 3D render.

The affinity files, and the exr render are on a NAS drive wich is connected to my windows as network drives, so they have their own letter and not just an IP.

A lot of the time, when i load the af files i'm getting a low resolution image, without any error message about something missing, and i need to replace the linked file with himself within the Ressource Manager to get the true resolution. Even if the file path are exactly the same.

The small preview also shows a difference, but excepted the resolution, everything look the same.

Capturedcran2023-10-25103343.thumb.png.7f61292352f617ece9854145e881eceb.pngCapturedcran2023-10-25103404.thumb.png.35a906b284206840d541f40696653018.png

Some files are working, some are not, even when the configuration are the same.

The working ones show me this icon:Capturedcran2023-10-25104402.png.908c2d25e2b0f3cc0cc114f26dfcccf4.png

The non working this one Capturedcran2023-10-25104412.png.43690fa7e0cd0fcf9c20033672e30de2.png

But they both are in the exact same folder

windows 11, Affinity photo 2.2.0 and now 2.2.1, synology NAS DS220.

Connected by wire, no stability problem on my local network.

Regards,

Just after posting this, thinking about why some file works and not others, i got an idea and tried something:

In one of my file i put the same linked exr file two time, one by using the "place" option in the file menu, and the other one by drag and droping the file directly in the af windows.

The placed one got the "non working" icon, but the drag and drop one got the working icon. And it stay the same after closing and reloading the file.

The placed one get the low res file, while the other one get the full resolution.

Capturedcran2023-10-25110904.png.4a38f3054039718c3c81170e5927bb99.png

In your Resource Manager, there are additional fields that could be displayed inside the box, if you drag the Name field so it is not so wide. It would be interesting to see the status field there, I think.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

It's exactly the same, that's why i'm here. There is no reason for this to happen, either both are failling, or both are working, not only one of the two:

Capturedcran2023-10-25150026.png.85d7ef6ede80a4a40b16a4ce1a912021.png

More info, the issue seems to appear with resized linked file. In this case i render at double the resolution, so the linked file are 50% of the size whithin the comp.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

I've been playing with this over the weekend and was able to replicate the issue with the thumbnail being different when dragged vs placed. I didn't get the blurred images but this could be down to me using Parallels to run Windows, which uses software rendering.

Will pass the information to our testing team to see if they have any ideas and if it needs logging with our developers.

I get the same issue with blurry linked files, the difference being that the linked file is on the local drive.

Setting the linked file as "Embedded" and then back to linked fixes it until you reopen the document that has the linked file

Mentioned Bug:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/1/2023 at 3:24 PM, Leigh said:

@Demys Just wanted let you know that we've logged the EXR thumbnail preview issue with our developers to be fixed. Are you still getting the blurring issue for linked images? Is it just EXR files or most images?

Hello,

Yes it's still happening regulary, still can't pinpoint why, always same setup, some file works, some don't

As i'm using linked file only with exr render i can't say about other type of images, but i saw some people here with almost the same problems, i guess it comes from a bug in the loading phase of the linked file but finding where is the hard part...

Regards

• Staff
On 2/27/2024 at 11:01 AM, Demys said:

Hello,

Yes it's still happening regulary, still can't pinpoint why, always same setup, some file works, some don't

As i'm using linked file only with exr render i can't say about other type of images, but i saw some people here with almost the same problems, i guess it comes from a bug in the loading phase of the linked file but finding where is the hard part...

Regards

Thanks for the update @Demys - Is it possible to install the 2.4 update and see if the issue sill persists?

On 3/1/2024 at 9:23 AM, Leigh said:

Thanks for the update @Demys - Is it possible to install the 2.4 update and see if the issue sill persists?

Hi,

I confirm that it's still happening in 2.4

Regards,

• 1 month later...
  • Staff
On 3/5/2024 at 8:41 AM, Demys said:

Hi,

I confirm that it's still happening in 2.4

Regards,

I've not forgotten about your issue @Demys. I've been trying to replicate it, on and off, with my Synology using 2.4 & 2.4.2 and different files, but still struggling to replicate.

I can see that Nathan logged a similar issue in this thread that could be related and when fixed, may resolve your issue too.

Would it be possible to provide a screen recording of the process you're going through and the issue occurring? Might help us replicate - feel free to DM me with a link to a recording if you're not wanting to share it publicly. I can also provide a Dropbox link if needed to upload the files to.