You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo 2.2 Broken/Bug OCIO profile and exr file

Demys

Hi,

After waiting almost one year to be able to load a OCIO profil as advertised when v2 was released, i was happy to read that the issue was corrected.

So I opened one exr file and...it doesn't work...

The problem:

After loading a half float exr, didn't try with a full float, affinity show me file with the default sRGB profile within the OCIO config, but as soon as i change the view transform, it broke the display.

Even if switch back to first sRGB the image stays broken,

I made a capture of a small part of the screen, the only things i did was to change the view transform to anything else and back to sRGB (but every other options are broken too), and it only contain the opened exr, no other layer.

Capturedcran2023-10-15195520.png.b66ad47c4077bad542d18a02639e83c1.pngCapturedcran2023-10-15195526.png.9789f970e2776528e180d8ae1668aac5.png

I tried with two OCIO profile, the ACES 1.2 one, and the Agx coming with the latest blender Version, it's doing the same on both so this is not a problem with the profiles themselves. And the exr file works as expected on windows, with affinity or any other program i'm using.

So i guess it's coming from the Ipad version.

Also, if i open the more "advanced" affinity file, done on windows and using OCIO layers, the final comp is not the same, highlight are clamped for example.

Capturedcran2023-10-15200156.png.2fe2e8da5f309b71f585fa2879e09061.pngCapturedcran2023-10-15201513.png.a8fa83f3ed1e9dce12ef2f822c00c5fa.png

Again, exact same file, the upper one on windows, the lower one on Ipad, same settings and OCIO profile.

Ipad pro 12.9 (3rd generation) and affinity photo 2.2, the latest on the store.

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...

I tried on the latest 2.2.1, still not working,  everything is still broken

Tried another files, same thing, everything work on windows, but highlight are completly wrong on iPAD.

Capturedcran2023-10-25102005.png.0349d85181ef8425cd839ed4e0bce3a8.pngCapturedcran2023-10-25102149.png.4079a57d1ea310600dba926f9722eccc.png

As always, exact same file and configuration, even did a "start from zero", new install of affinity on the ipad, reset everything and just add the OCIO config the same as my windows version.

How can i help you to pin point the issue ?

Just having 0 feedback from the support is not really pleasing.

Hi Lee,

It's this one. It's coming with the latest beta version of blender 4.0.

It's made from the original AgX one, i think they added small variation, but it's working in the windows version of affinity photo, but also in davinci resolve and fusion studio.

So i guess something is wrong with how the ipad version reads it.

Regards,

colormanagement.zip

• Staff

@Demys this may not address all the problems you're having, but there's an issue with the Blender configuration when combined with Affinity Photo at the moment because the mode we use with OCIO v2 (called Legacy mode) combines ops into a single low-precision LUT. Many of Blender's colour spaces, including AgX and Filmic, use log2 allocation transforms which require a lot of precision—so rolling these into a LUT is pretty catastrophic. This likely accounts for the clipped and almost "diffuse" highlight detail you are seeing.

I adapted the configuration to work with Photo and posted a link to it in the comments of the OpenColorIO video tutorial available here: 

Here's a link to the configuration: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/geo9h5wklq23fjge4habp/JR-Blender-4.0-OCIO-adapted-for-Affinity-Photo-2.2.zip?rlkey=dg9dxababy633erxgyin89efu&dl=0

You're welcome to download and try it with both Windows and iPad versions to see if it solves your problems—do let me know!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Hi James,

I tested the provided OCIO configuration and it's working on my ipad. On windows i only see a really really small change in the red saturation.

One thing i don't get is why i'm not seeing the same error on the windows version if it's because of the implementation you've made in Affinity ?

Also, i'm directly exporting jpg from affinity so i was already using the ICC and OCIO layer setup you showed in the video, but i'm not using 4 layer like your example, only 2.

From what i understand there is no need to do .709 -> sRGB / sRGB->.709 and then  .709 -> AgX / sRGB ->.709.

You only need .709 -> AgX/ sRGB ->.709

Everything after the first OCIO layer is considered in the sRGB color space, but is being transformed using the AgX specification, that's why it's called "AgX Base sRGB"

Am I wrong ?

Anyway, it looks like it's working now, didn't knew about this OCIO V2 limitation, should have dig deeper. Thanks !

Regards,