You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher v2.2.0 constantly crashing

Hi all,

Affinity Publisher keeps crashing. It mostly happens when I try to select a new page.

By creating a new document, adding pages and then selecting one of those pages, publisher instantly quits.

I tried it with V 2.2.0, 2.1.1 & 2.0.4. 

Unfortunately it's impossible to work with.

Do you have perhaps a solution?

Crash report is attached.

Thank you very much,

Fränz 

My System: 

Windows 11 Pro 22H2

Systembuild    22621.2428
Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22674.1000.0

13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K   3.00 GHz
64.0 GB RAM

Geforce RTX 4080 (Driver 537.58 Studio)

d910204d-bfc5-45ea-88f0-8ea670130447.dmp

try turning off HA.

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Ryzen 7 5700U Rx Vega 8 graphics 

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Acer KB202 27in 1080p monitor

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.4.2 Affinity Designer 2 2.4.2 Affinity Publisher 2 2.4.2 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

Beta builds as they come out.

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black

Hi,

Thank you. Yes, I did that.

I did find a very strange behaviour though. When I start Publisher in Windowed Mode, everything works as it should. 

But when I run the App Full Screen or when I increase the size of the Window, Publisher quits if I select a new page.

My Main Screen is a Samsung Widescreen (3440 x 1440). I use two more Displays. Disconnecting both displays didn't help either.

This happens also with version 1.10. 

I did a clean install of the Geforce Driver (Studio).

Here are my performance settings: (I tried every option, I think)

image.png.21c294a4bd8b74dfd51e42bc22eaba99.png

Fränz

can you take a screen recording of what you were doing that caused publisher to crash? If I can reproduce the crash then you found an issue.

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Ryzen 7 5700U Rx Vega 8 graphics 

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Acer KB202 27in 1080p monitor

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.4.2 Affinity Designer 2 2.4.2 Affinity Publisher 2 2.4.2 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

Beta builds as they come out.

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black

• Staff

Welcome to the Affinity Forums @oskarbravo :)

Sorry to see you're having trouble! This isn't like any issue I've seen being reported previously and I'm certainly surprised that disabling Hardware Acceleration / clean installing your drivers hasn't changed the experienced behaviour.

Just to confirm, did you update to the latest GPU driver version available when performing this clean install?

I can see from debugging the crash report provided that Avira Endpoint Protection is 'hooked into' the Affinity app, as the .dll is included with the crash report. Out of interest if you temporarily disable this on your PC, does the crash still occur?

Equally, the application is crashing within "LibPersona" which could indicate an incompatibility with your app layout or display settings - we usually see this when a user transfers the Affinity apps to a new device and the previous devices display settings are used. Have you recently transferred the app from an old device, by chance?

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi Dan, 

Thank you for answering.

Yes, it is indeed a very strange behaviour. I tried many things.

I did a clean install of the video drivers by uninstalling them with Guru 3D DDU App.

Another thing I tried, is the activation of the internal videocard in the mainboard BIOS (Intel UHD Graphics 770). I connected one of my screens to that video card. But this didn't help either.

There seems to be a threshold when I resize the Apps window. The crash occurs at a certain window size. 1080p seems to be to high.

It completely disapears when I run the Main Display at a scale of 150%. Everything is nice and smooth.

Disabling Avira doesn't seem to change anything.

The computer that I'm using at the moment is indeed a new one. How can I see if any previous display settings are being used?

I attached some more Crash reports (Both Photo & Publisher).

In Photo, the bug appears when I am working on more than one file and it happens when I change from one tab to another one.

At a scale of 150%, everything works as it should.

Thank you very much,

Fränz

Screenshot2023-10-12163617.png.1eda67a906162a0efb1574349046cadc.png

3426e891-baba-440d-a6ed-dea05ddd3806.dmp 60891ee5-58c0-4b97-9983-8874fcbfd870.dmp 67eb435b-2752-4890-b752-5b72267220c6.dmp 9d56f376-0dc7-4153-9624-c28f9a5c49eb.dmp b5c8c183-53f6-4aa0-a727-a8913eec27f6.dmp 6f2ebbee-ca2c-4608-b64b-fb1687df44b4.dmp

• Staff

No problem at all, thanks for the further information provided!

55 minutes ago, oskarbravo said:

There seems to be a threshold when I resize the Apps window. The crash occurs at a certain window size. 1080p seems to be to high.

I personally run Affinity full screen at both 4k 60hz and 1440p 144hz without issue, so the app certainly isn't limited to 1080p.

I have also asked my colleague, who has used both a 49" Ultrawide G9 Odyssey and a 37" Ultrawide Alienware OLED with Affinity to try full screen mode, and this too has worked without issue, reaffirming the above.

58 minutes ago, oskarbravo said:

It completely disapears when I run the Main Display at a scale of 150%. Everything is nice and smooth.

However, I did not check the scaling % my colleague is using (I'm personally set at 125% for my 4K monitor) - what value were you using that caused the crash to occur please?

59 minutes ago, oskarbravo said:

The computer that I'm using at the moment is indeed a new one. How can I see if any previous display settings are being used?

Assuming that you installed the apps from fresh on the new device, then all of your settings would have been generated from scratch. The app could only be using previous settings if you had Affinity installed on the old PC, then transferred all files & installed apps to your new PC, using third party 'transfer' software.

To be certain however, we can try the following:

• Return Windows scaling % to the values you were using previously, when the crash occurred.
  • Open the Affinity app, holding down the CTRL key whilst the app loads.
  • In the 'Clear User Data' dialog that appears, enable the following options:
    image.png
  • Select Clear and the app will now open, having reset these values.
  • Follow the same steps you used to trigger the crash in Affinity - does this still occur?

If so, this would indicate that previous settings are not the cause of the issue here. Please do let me know how you get on :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi Dan,

Yes, I tried opening the App with CTRL enabled. I even selected every item. 

Unfortunately the error is still here.

With my old Computer, I was able to run the app without any problems on the big Screen. But that was on Windows 10. 

Thank you for your time.

Fränz

• Staff

Thanks for letting us know - what % scaling value were you using in Windows that caused the crash to occur please?

I understand you have set this to 150%, which stopped the crash from occurring, but I'm not sure what your previous value was originally that showed this issue :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for verifying that for me - inspecting your crash reports provided appear to show the app is crashing due to 'marching ants' (used to indicate an active selection) though I cannot see an active selection in your recording, so this is a little strange.

Our team would like to request a copy of your log.txt files in order for our devs to investigate this further. To find this please open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and press OK:

If using MSIX - %USERPROFILE%\.affinity\Publisher\2.0\

If using EXE - %appdata%\Affinity\Publisher\2.0\

In the window that opens, please select log.txt, then attach this to your reply here.

Many thanks once again!

Please note -

Many thanks!

Hi Dan,

Sure. Here it is.

Thank you very much for further investigating this Problem.

Fränz

(I attached some more crash reports from today. Perhaps that can help...)

Log.txt b9e9f695-dd1d-4562-a05a-2f18b53ac02d.dmp 323593eb-16c9-4bbe-b2a3-92209fb5ecd9.dmp c6c892f8-a6d8-4f8d-b3a9-bd0c514720c4.dmp 873dc329-cf9e-4c33-a326-c5152a206289.dmp 51f80d4d-f81b-41af-bd26-f5b3118d5176.dmp

• Staff

Many thanks for providing these for me - I have logged this as a bug with our development team to be investigated further and they will use the files/information provided to work to resolve these crashes in a future update, as this is unlike anything we've seen previously.

In the meantime, as we're unable to replicate this internally - even on an Ultrawide monitor, currently our best suggestions are either to continue to use 150% scaling within Windows, or not to 'full screen' the Affinity apps.

My apologies that I don't have any further resolutions at this time, but I will be sure to update this thread with any information or suggestions that our team can provide :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

Thank you for putting my problem on the bug list.

I have a new bit of information that could help your development team.

In the Taskmanager I saw two small green leaves beside Microsoft Edge and wondered what they do. (Efficiency mode) So I tried to put Affinity Publisher in that Effiency mode (per right click) and yes, everything now works as it should. No more crashes! Same with Photo.

So I assume that Publisher uses a certain amount of processing power (CPU/RAM/GPU...) when selecting pages or selecting Tabs (Photo) which crashes the app. Now that its ressources are restricted, it doesn't consum too much and the app does not quit. By deselecting the efficiency mode, the app quits immediately when I try to select a different page.

Unfortunately I have not found a possibiltiy to force Publisher to allways start in this efficiency mode. That said, everytime I use the Software I have to put it in that state in the Taskmanager, which is a bit annoying.

I attached a screenshot to illustrate it.

So thanks again for further looking into this problem.

Fränz

image.png.a050d7a44d1cf9bb9f33c6178bd9516b.png

• Staff

Hi Fränz,

Many thanks for the update here and I'm glad to hear you've found a temporary workaround!

I've updated our development log with this information, as this is the first report I've seen where enabling this option within Windows has resolved the crashing behaviour, so it's certainly interesting to hear.

This may indicate an issue with the Affinity apps using multi-threading on your CPU - do you know what settings you have in your BIOS in regards to CPU threading?

You may also wish to perform a 'Health Check' on your systems power supply, as this could potentially be indicative of a power draw issue :)

Please note -

Many thanks!