You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Power duplicating

I have attached a file that I created this afternoon to explain how I create a 2 point perspective grid. If anyone can let me know if there are any AD tools or features that would simplify or make easier I would be interested to know what they are?

22 minutes ago, thomaso said:

In a 2D application like Affinity, this can be an unsolvable approach because the Z axis is missing as a property specifically of vanishing point perspective. For this reason, you are forced to simulate this dimension with lines at varying angles, while each single subdivision guide and illustration line max require a different, unique angle.

And this is also the reason why various hints to 3D / CAD apps were mentioned occasionally in your threads about snapping and technical / construction drawings. (for instance)

I assumed that you would have to simulate a Z axis and that is possible using a 3 point perspective grid. I used Z axis instead of 3rd vanishing point. The clever bit is knowing how to create them!

2023 guide.afdesign

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

1 hour ago, henryanthony said:

Blender is free. Donation is requested but not required to download, install, and use the program as you wish.

@jackamus You wrote, "This could be useful when drawing  a perspective grid where the lines can be used as guides for drawing. I would add that because the lines are equidistant apart it must not be confused a being some kind of drawing scale. I have spent many hours drawing a grid and then trying to find a way to create scaled divisions along an X, Y and Z axis.

The grid divisions in Blender are scaled and can be changed as needed. 

I know its free but I can't get past the Donation window to download it!

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

50 minutes ago, jackamus said:

I know its free but I can't get past the Donation window to download it!

The ‘Thanks!’ page that I see here says ‘Your download will start automatically. If it didn’t start, download manually.’

https://mirrors.dotsrc.org/blender/release/Blender3.6/blender-3.6.4-macos-x64.dmg

The above download (for Intel Mac) is 277.6 MB.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

26 minutes ago, henryanthony said:

@Alfred The link you posted works for me. I am in the U.S. using WIN 10. Not sure if that matters.

It works for me, and (like @jackamus) I’m in the UK. I’m not sure why Jack is having a problem!

Did you start at Blender.org?

I think I actually went straight to https://www.blender.org/download, but the ‘Download’ link on the Blender home page takes you to the same destination anyway.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@Alfred I was confused. Thanks for clarification.

@jackamus Once you click on the download link and select the version, the download should start automatically. If not, there is a link to start the download manually. I am using Win 10 so my experience may be different. For me application download is rather straight forward. Never had a problem. 

I would also like to add that Affinity Design and Photo are very good tools to have along side Blender. Great feature set and performance for the style of work I am currently doing. In fact Blender would be useless to me without the Affinity applications. Very satisfied with those.

Affinity Photo and Design V1. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Dell Precision 7710 laptop. Intel Core i7. RAM 32GB. NVIDIA Quadro M4000M.

I have now downloaded Blender and it could be very useful for perspective drawing. I expect to take some time getting familiar with it.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0