You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo modifying line lengths on arrows (not the arrowhead)

howdy  :)

does anyone know how to adjust the length of the line on arrows after they have been placed in the document without affecting the arrowhead?

for example,
i created a custom arrow to use in architecture presentations saved it as an asset for reuse, i would like to only change the length of the line, (not the arrowhead) so that arrowhead is not modified but the line can be lengthened preserving it's width

thank you  :)

affinity photo 2 #macos #arrow #linelength #line #arrowtool

14 minutes ago, ^-^ said:

i created a custom arrow to use in architecture presentations saved it as an asset for reuse, i would like to only change the length of the line, (not the arrowhead) so that arrowhead is not modified but the line can be lengthened preserving it's width

What sort of arrow, a vector or bitmap arrow? - For vector based arrows, let's say one created out of Pen stroke lines & an start arrowhead, use the Node & Pen tools and change the tail length with the Node tool, or add lines to the tail end with the Pen tool. For shaped arrows use the Node tool. - For bitmap based arrows things will be different here and will need to add pixel lines.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

@v_kyr thank you for your response :)

im using the arrow tool in affinity photo persona & saving a custom arrow in assets which gets used regularly in different documents

the created arrow is a ‘marketing’ icon which cannot change in color & proportions except for the length of the line

1 hour ago, ^-^ said:

If it is a set of Vectors then use the node tool to grab the end of the line and drag it.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

57 minutes ago, ^-^ said:

im using the arrow tool in affinity photo persona & saving a custom arrow in assets which gets used regularly in different documents

The Arrow Tool should give you a vector shape, and you can simply drag one of the nodes to make it longer or shorter:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

thank you @walt.farrell for your response :)

yes, that is exactly what i would like to do! 

for some reason,
maybe an error on my part,
but once the custom arrow is made & saved as an asset for reuse the functionality of the Arrow Tool (your demo) goes away so that click dragging the tail of the line modifies the entire arrow

typically there is a modifier key that a user can press which allows only the selected points to move in unison without affecting the rest

im going to remake the an arrow save it as an asset to see if the features you demoed hold

thank you walt!   :)

^_^

You're welcome.

We might be able to say more if you created a new document, dragged your arrow asset onto it, and gave us a screenshot showing the arrow selected, and including the Layers panel.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1