You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text wrapping around cropped image wraps around the original image's size/outline

I am trying to wrap text around a cropped image, but it is wrapping the text around the original image size/outline. I want it to wrap around only the visible cropped area. When I check the text wrap outline, it shows the outline of the original image. I know I can edit the outline by hand, but there has to be a faster way. I tried resetting the wrap outline, and it changes to the cropped area, but it doesn't stick.

I have attached a file with the problematic elements. I should note that I'm setting the text wrap at a group level, while the image that is cropped is part of that group. 

Extra Credit: What does reset wrap outline do? In this situation it doesn't seem to do anything permanent.

Thx!

Example.afpub

3 hours ago, Kim S said:

I should note that I'm setting the text wrap at a group level, while the image that is cropped is part of that group. 

That seems to be the point.

From the Layers panel:

1. Select the "Group w/ Cropped Image"
  2. Unwrap it (choosing None as wrapping style)
  3. Select instead all its content (with shift-click from first group to Cropped image)
  4. Wrap its content (choosing Square or Adapted as wrapping style) 

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

In the Layers panel, it is very easy to select the whole content of the group (*). Then you only need one click to wrap all at once.

Note that the so-called layer "Cropped Image" is also to be included in the selection to wrap. Trouble comes only when you apply wrap to "Group w/ Cropped Image" as a whole (thus including the invisible part I suppose). 

(*) How I do:

1. Option/Alt click to close the group
  2. Click to open the group

So only first level elements appear.

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

Hi @Kim S and welcome to the forums.

Resetting the wrap contour only happens when you make changes to the contour lines.

EDIT: One more hint: The "cropped layer" is not really cropped, but only masked. You would have to rasterize and crop the clipped layer.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

18 hours ago, Kim S said:

I am trying to wrap text around a cropped image, but it is wrapping the text around the original image size/outline. I want it to wrap around only the visible cropped area. When I check the text wrap outline, it shows the outline of the original image. I know I can edit the outline by hand, but there has to be a faster way. I tried resetting the wrap outline, and it changes to the cropped area, but it doesn't stick.

I have attached a file with the problematic elements. I should note that I'm setting the text wrap at a group level, while the image that is cropped is part of that group. 

Extra Credit: What does reset wrap outline do? In this situation it doesn't seem to do anything permanent.

Thx!

You have demonstrated a bug.

The problem isn't particular to a Group containing a 'vector-cropped' (actually vector-masked) Image. It affects a Group containing a raster-masked or vector-masked object of any kind.

If a masked object has text wrap, the wrap outline is based on the revealed extent of the object - good.

If a masked object is in a Group, and the Group has text wrap, the wrap outline is based on the entire extent of the object as if it has no mask - bug.

There are far too many items in that group (of groups) which have some sort of text wrap applied already. That is not going to make things easy.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

There are far too many items in that group (of groups) which have some sort of text wrap applied already. That is not going to make things easy.

I just checked the file and there were only 2 separate instances of text wrapping of a group within a group. I turned off the text wrapping at the sublayers and the problem still existed.