You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

remember the vector brush used on each path

How would you handle the situation in which that vector brush does not exist on the system you are accessing the document from?

What if it does but it was modified and no longer matches the path that you are looking it up from?  Do you really want it pointing you back to a brush that no longer matches the one on the canvas?

What if the original brush was renamed and something else was renamed to replace it?  You may wind up being pointed at a different brush than the one that is still there but with a different name or identifier?

Hi fde101, you are right but those are all rare situations in my view.

ok so instead of pointing to the previous brush which might have those issues it would at least useful if the names of the brush and the collection it is part from are saved in a note field of the path.

Does it make sense?

3 hours ago, fde101 said:

How would you handle the situation in which that vector brush does not exist on the system you are accessing the document from?

What if it does but it was modified and no longer matches the path that you are looking it up from?  Do you really want it pointing you back to a brush that no longer matches the one on the canvas?

What if the original brush was renamed and something else was renamed to replace it?  You may wind up being pointed at a different brush than the one that is still there but with a different name or identifier?

Maybe I'm not understanding your observations correctly, but the exact same situations can occur when transferring a document to another desktop, where the used font is not installed, or the linked file does not exist, or a completely different file has been renamed to the linked file, so that the image / document is completely different from the one originally used . And yet, Affinity maintains information about the linked file and the text font used, and allowing you to continue editing and using them.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

1 hour ago, ste72 said:

it would at least useful if the names of the brush and the collection it is part from are saved in a note field of the path.

Ok, that is a start.  I am asking these questions not to discourage the feature, but to ask that it be better defined.  Sometimes users post these requests which could be interpreted or implemented in numerous ways which may or may not be suitable for whatever the user intended, so being more precise about what is wanted may help to avoid those misunderstandings.

What happens when the collection does not exist?  When the collection exists when the brush does not?

Are you treating it like a missing font and just showing the name in red?

What if the brush does exist but is different from what is in the document?  Select it but show an indicator that there is a mismatch, maybe giving the user the option to update the object on canvas to match the brush?

5 hours ago, fde101 said:

Just create a fresh on, e.g. „new brush from selected layer“. More important, we need the principle function to inspect / re-edit vector brushes, e.g. export to PNG, and save metadata like intensity / image brush etc.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

45 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

Just create a fresh on, e.g. „new brush from selected layer“

• If that happens automatically, you could pollute your brush list with random brushes from arbitrary sources when viewing others' documents.
  • Many brushes can be obtained as part of sets that people charge for.  If the application allowed you to import arbitrary brushes from existing documents, this would simplify the process of using copyrighted brushes from arbitrary sources that you may not have licensed - just pull in a document from someone who *did* license the brush and you can get a copy of that brush without paying for it.  Not sure that would go over well?

4 minutes ago, fde101 said:

If that happens automatically, you could pollute your brush list with random brushes from arbitrary sources when viewing others' documents.

on request only, not automatically.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

4 minutes ago, fde101 said:
  • Many brushes can be obtained as part of sets that people charge for.  If the application allowed you to import arbitrary brushes from existing documents, this would simplify the process of using copyrighted brushes from arbitrary sources that you may not have licensed - just pull in a document from someone who *did* license the brush and you can get a copy of that brush without paying for it.  Not sure that would go over well?

I see this point. But Affinity allows to export bushes - this would even cause more damage.

It would really help if Affinity would at least provide the information which brushes were used, which license used, etc. Similar to "resource panel" for stock images.

For self created brushes (marked in metadata), unrestricted editing / export is a must. It is not a good practice to limit usage of data based on the most restrictive potential license - and offering no way to store and inspect those metadata.

• 4 weeks later...

Yesssss, this, please! I have hundreds of brushes, I design something, go back to it later and then there is no identification of which brushes were used for the different lines drawn... so unless I remember which brush was used or unless I took notes then it's a pain to figure it out. I don't understand why brush identification isn't a basic thing that's part of the app.