You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Support for pen pressure on non-Wacom tablets?

Will there be support in future for pen pressure when using tablets other than Wacom? This would seem to be a driver issue, largely external to the application. I know that tools such as Krita support a broad range of tablets. Asking because my need for a tablet is not sufficient to justify paying for a Wacom.

• Staff

Hi @meyer.wil,

Do you currently have a pen tablet which isn't responding to the pressure controller in Designer/Photo? While the help guide (https://affinity.help/photo2/English.lproj/pages/Extras/penTablet.html) does reference that Affinity doesn't officially support non-wacom tablets, that doesn't necessarily mean that other tablets won't work/respond to pressure. For example, testing the pressure on a Huion Q620M works as expected with force pressure turned on.

1 hour ago, NathanC said:

Hi @meyer.wil,

Do you currently have a pen tablet which isn't responding to the pressure controller in Designer/Photo? While the help guide (https://affinity.help/photo2/English.lproj/pages/Extras/penTablet.html) does reference that Affinity doesn't officially support non-wacom tablets, that doesn't necessarily mean that other tablets won't work/respond to pressure. For example, testing the pressure on a Huion Q620M works as expected with force pressure turned on.

I do. It is an XP-Pen product, with the latest driver installed. Works fine with Krita, which doesn't specify support for my model, but does list other XP-Pen products. With Affinity Designer 2.2, it does not respond to pressure.

• Staff
14 minutes ago, meyer.wil said:

I do. It is an XP-Pen product, with the latest driver installed. Works fine with Krita, which doesn't specify support for my model, but does list other XP-Pen products. With Affinity Designer 2.2, it does not respond to pressure.

I see, I don't have an XP-Pen tablet to hand to test, but have you tried changing the tablet input method under Edit > Preferences > Tools? There are three options here, try alternating between High/Low Precision and Windows Ink settings, making sure to restart the app between each change before testing. Also try disabling 'Windows Ink' within the XP-PEN Tablet Driver settings to see if this has any impact. I would also suggest disabling Hardware Acceleration under Edit > Preferences > Performance and then restarting and trying again in case that's having an impact.

Make sure that 'Force Pressure' is enabled along the context toolbar if you're using the raster paint brush tool, or if you're using Designer's vector brush tool set the controller to 'Pressure'.

1 hour ago, NathanC said:

Make sure that 'Force Pressure' is enabled along the context toolbar if you're using the raster paint brush tool, or if you're using Designer's vector brush tool set the controller to 'Pressure'.

I had not found all the settings, but the key item seems to be setting Controller to Pressure. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2023 at 2:26 PM, meyer.wil said:

I had not found all the settings, but the key item seems to be setting Controller to Pressure. Thanks!

I can't find the force pressure setting and I have a Huion Kanvas 13 tablet & pen. The pen works just like a mouse (no pressure sensitivity)  but outside of Affinity the pressure works. Tried various setting and windowsink both on & off and there is no way I can get pen pressure to work. 

@NathanC can you help?

1 hour ago, Dangerous said:

I can't find the force pressure setting

It is on the context toolbar when you have a tool selected that can respond to pressure:

image.png.53b1b70ba7bfa2206e668ae8e8a4f7d0.png

For the brush tools, if you edit the brush properties, you can control what the pressure does:

image.png.8c270dc7c1538c6f6dfee130b7b31229.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2023 at 11:18 AM, fde101 said:

It is on the context toolbar when you have a tool selected that can respond to pressure:

image.png.53b1b70ba7bfa2206e668ae8e8a4f7d0.png

For the brush tools, if you edit the brush properties, you can control what the pressure does:

image.png.8c270dc7c1538c6f6dfee130b7b31229.png

Sorry for the late reply. That has helped me. The pen pressure works now.

Thanks