You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Old school front-page templates

• Staff

Hi GeirSol,

Not as templates but perhaps this may may help you create some.

In the Stock studio, under the Pixabay library, switch the vector filter on and search for the keywords "frame", "flourish" and "corner". With these you could quite quickly put together your own document or create a template of your own. Being vectors, should be very easy to manipulate to fit your project.

Lee

image.png

Perhaps is it interesting to look how this was done in that time, and how we can do the same now?

1. Obviously, first is choosing fonts, colours and paper… i won't discuss it here.
  2. Printer marks (like “Edition Peters” or armouries, cul-de-lampe, etc.) were generally engraved brass (?) blocks, made specially for them. — Modern equivalent would be vector frames and ad hoc ornaments, like @Lee_T proposed. 
  3. External borders were composed with typefaces, I mean cast lead blocks, like all sorts or letters. Printer's shops had some cases with ornament characters that were used in patterns like :
    O—————|—————O
    |                                        |
    |                                        |
    etc., set tight with no interline lead. 
    — Nowadays, there are also some digital fonts, notably those recreating old fonts like Didot or Bodoni, that have such “borders” or “ornaments” characters.

To use these, you could create a new text frame for this border, with tabs at (the center and) the right side for an easy composition of all the lines needed, and once the border is completed, you lock that text frame in the Layers panel.  

PNG50-Capturedcran2023-09-1619_21_31.png.4e39e912d2abd769663f9aa0e7fc1be9.png

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

An internet search after that topic should give some links to such common materials ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2