You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer 2.1.1 adding Symbols bug

When I drag & drop symbols one after one from my symbol panel to the canvas, it ends up bugging and I can no longer drag & drop new ones. Only solution is to close Affinity (closing the document is not enough) and when I reopen the file, I can use the symbol feature again.

What specifically do you mean by "bugging"? What happens?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi @loudo,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble! I'm not seeing this behaviour here currently - as R C-R has requested, can you please provide some more information regarding the exact issue occurring? If possible, a screen recording showing this behaviour may help us to investigate further.

If you're unsure how to take a screen recording, please check out our FAQ linked below - 

Many thanks in advance! 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Here is the video of the problem. As you can see, it starts to bug after 30s (= symbols can't be drag&drop anymore).

I was just trying to replace images by symbols to allow faster update in the future (a replace image by symbols feature would be very convenient 👀).

https://e.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZc3N2ZEgbQQE49g98yvQxa6sdsSpq7PQOk

Thanks.

• Staff

Thanks for providing that for me and my apologies for the delayed response!

Can you please export this Asset Category, then upload a copy of the .afassets here for me?

image.png

I've tried replicating this with a few different Assets and I've been unable to thus far - therefore it may be due to the specific Assets shown in your recording.

Many thanks once again :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 9/14/2023 at 1:43 PM, Dan C said:

Can you please export this Asset Category, then upload a copy of the .afassets here for me?

I'm not using any specific assets in the asset window (if it's what you are asking). Just my own symbol created with my own png. So I don't think I can export the way you suggested.

• Staff
1 hour ago, loudo said:

I don't think I can export the way you suggested.

My sincerest apologies, I'm not entirely certain why I requested exported Assets in regards to your Symbols issue - that's my mistake!

I have again tried following your workflow shown in your screen recording on my PC and I'm able to create, add and drag and drop PNG symbols as expected.

Can you please save your .afdesign file that uses these Symbols, then attach a copy of this here for me? If you'd like a private upload link for this document, please don't hesitate to ask :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

No problem at all, please upload your file here - 

https://www.dropbox.com/request/O0LyzX0Yjn49BpA8TOJG

Once uploaded, please reply here to let me know :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

No problem @loudo, thanks for letting me know.

I've reopened the same request, can you please try using the link above again for me? :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for providing that for me! I've tried using multiple methods to 'trigger' this issue, though unfortunately I'm unable to replicate this currently, a the Symbols Studio continues to work as expected in my testing.

I have noticed a few things however: 

• Is there a chance that the 'Spacebar' key is being held down, either incidentally or by a third party app that controls your keyboard input? As dragging a Symbol with the Spacebar held will appear to work correctly, but no Symbol instance will be added to your document.

• In the screen recording provided, as you select and drag the Symbol, a different symbol is highlighted once your cursor passes over it (note you click & drag the 'O', but the 'K' Symbol becomes selected) -
    af26388dd96e66aa23f521c34039f520.gif
    Again, I haven't been able to replicate that behaviour here in my testing. What are you using for an Input Device please? Is this simply a mouse, a drawing tablet etc?

Can you please verify for me, is this something you're able to consistently trigger in this file on your PC? If so, do you recall any workflow steps that you have to take in each file in order for the issue to occur?

Many thanks once again :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I confirm this issue.  WIndows 11 Designer 2.2. 

I created one symbol and duplicated it ctlC ctlV no problem .

Could not drag it to the layer from  the symbols panel. Close / reopen Designer then it worked. Not a complex symbol.

ticket10gridSymbol.afdesign

EdIt = regretably this is a transient... once fixed by close/reopen it keeps working.  A subsequent document also worked.

Win 11 PCs 64bit  Envy and Envy tablet + Filter Forge  Retired computer systems tester doing graphics for charities and politics etc.

• Staff

Thanks for your report!

15 hours ago, gw_westdale said:

EdIt = regretably this is a transient... once fixed by close/reopen it keeps working.  A subsequent document also worked.

This is certainly interesting, I've opened your document and tried to replicate this and have thus far been unable - even after closing & reopening your document multiple times.

I was able to add new Symbol instances from the Symbol Studio, Copy/Duplicate the Symbols added and then continue to drag new instances from the Studio as expected - 

image.png

Do you notice this issue only occurs following a copy/paste step, or can it seemingly occur randomly after any action?

Unfortunately if we're unable to replicate the behaviour internally then I couldn't log this as a bug with our team so any further information you can provide to assist this process would be helpful :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I've had the same thing happen tonight with version 2.4. Three times over a period of two hours of work. I'm working on creating a repeating wallpaper style pattern composed of several symbols - 14 in total. These are then "sprinkled" over the canvas. For the first part this was drawing curves and then creating the symbol collection which went fine. Then dragging the symbols to the canvas worked for a while but then stopped working. I'm on Windows and when this happened the dragged image was the small rectangular box often see in the OS when dragging files. (It wasn't possible to grab a screen image, sorry). The symbol was not copied to the canvas in this instance. It then seems to be in a permanent state because, as reported earlier, closing and reopening the file had no effect. Only restarting the application allowed it to work again - for a while. In case it is relevant, between each drag of a symbol to the canvas there were various operations of rotating, scaling and repositioning the symbols.

Here's a sample:image.png.7f85498736cc95abb4c622f6da96b1af.png