You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ctrl + S Save Shortcut Crashing Publisher Beta

Hey team,

I am using Publisher Beta and updating to the latest little patches every couple days when they come out. The issue reproduces every time, and I don't have time to mess around with a new document quite yet (long-running book series with a fixed template of info to stay consistent across all books), but usually the issues I come across remain on new or different documents. I can upload a document with the issue though. Windows 11, HA on RTX 3080 (haven't tried the other setting), Here's what's going on:

I opened the latest version of public Publisher last week to find the "section manager" window completely gone. I do have 3 monitors, and it sometimes loads on another one randomly because of the difference in their ages and resolution, but this time it was just completely gone (has happened on an older version as well). Because sections became an integral part of this series, I had to move the current book to Publisher Beta to get it back. Yay! Except, about every 3-4 times I try to save with Ctrl+S, the program freezes and takes around 10 minutes to unfreeze…or I can force quit and keep going since it does record the save. Just a big interruption since I save about once a page. I have one workaround which is to remember to go to the "Save as" menu, which seems to reset how many saves I get before a crash. I can also tell when it is going to happen if I look. The document heading will no longer say [Modified] when an edit is made, and the regular save button in the File menu will be gray. I do also often have DaVinci Resolve running in the background, but the results are the same with it closed too.

I don't necessarily need it fixed to keep working, but I thought it might be good to know in case it needs to be addressed before the Public release. The document that just crashed on me is attached. Thanks!

The First Dragon Ep 16.afpub

4 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hey natecombsmedia,

I can reproduce this. I got it after the 8th save. I've grabbed a memory dump and will pass this back to the developers. Thank you :) 

Thanks!

For anyone else this happens to, I am able to completely avoid it by limiting myself to the initial save as from a previous chapter to the current document name, one more save after changing the document material (section, chapter title, and body text), and once at the end before a new save as. Maybe one in the middle if it is longer.

• Staff

The issue "App hangs whilst performing a manual save (looks document specific)" (REF: AFB-8268) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.2.0.1985".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

• 3 weeks later...

@Serif Info Bot, Hey I saw the update for the Public versions was released this week...however, my original issue that sent me into the Beta version is still there. I'll upload this file too, from a completely different project btw, showing that the "Section Manager" just doesn't open in the public version of Publisher 2.2. @Chris B, I'm sorry, I guess I should have included for this file originally as well.

Slit Throat Saga 2 Ep 1.afpub

2 hours ago, natecombsmedia said:

@Serif Info Bot, Hey I saw the update for the Public versions was released this week...however, my original issue that sent me into the Beta version is still there. I'll upload this file too, from a completely different project btw, showing that the "Section Manager" just doesn't open in the public version of Publisher 2.2. @Chris B, I'm sorry, I guess I should have included for this file originally as well.

I had no problem opening the Section Manager with your document. What might be happening is that the Section Manager is opening off the screen so you can't see it, something that can happen occasionally, especially if you've ever switched monitors or switch between a laptop screen and a monitor.

To resolve it, start Publisher while holding down Ctrl (press it immediately after clicking the icon). The Clear User Data window will appear. Deselect Clear User Defaults and Reset Studio, leaving just Reset Document & Window States selected. I think that will solve it but if it doesn't try it again and leave all three of the checkboxes selected.

Good luck.

Screenshot2023-09-19at3_43_09PM.thumb.png.f5f66b2a9dafec7cc559b05d16e6415c.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Thanks @MikeTO, the windows randomly decide they will open on different screens each time I open the program...super weird. But this one is completely gone, not even a small corner for grabbing, which I thought was a requirement for Windows computers.

Anyway, I don't have the one option you left selected. It says the opposite. Leaving it checked or unchecked didn't work. I'll post a picture for reference, but before I delete all my user defaults, what will go away in that option? I have some text styles created as well as shortcut key commands that I use a ton. No issues in Beta still.

26 minutes ago, natecombsmedia said:

Thanks @MikeTO, the windows randomly decide they will open on different screens each time I open the program...super weird. But this one is completely gone, not even a small corner for grabbing, which I thought was a requirement for Windows computers.

Anyway, I don't have the one option you left selected. It says the opposite. Leaving it checked or unchecked didn't work. I'll post a picture for reference, but before I delete all my user defaults, what will go away in that option? I have some text styles created as well as shortcut key commands that I use a ton. No issues in Beta still.

It's a requirement for Mac computers, too, but it happens.

If you don't want to lose your studio (panel) setup while clearing user data, save your studio set up as a preset with Window > Studio > Add Preset... first. If clearing user data doesn't solve the problem, you can reload your studio preset.

The main checkbox, Clear User Defaults, clears text formatting defaults, all of your preferences settings, including all of the independent options listed below. It's a big deal to clear all your user data. You can lessen the impact by saving your keyboard shortcuts first.

Good luck!

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

2 hours ago, natecombsmedia said:

Oh I forgot, that option was renamed in 2.2 to align better to the other options. So yes, it's the opposite now.

• Staff
14 hours ago, natecombsmedia said:

my original issue that sent me into the Beta version is still there.

I cannot reproduce this in 2005. What I was doing was constantly dirtying the document by placing a shape > save, place a shape > save. I got to over 300 history entries.

As for the rogue window, rather than resetting etc. try this:

1. Click the Window menu
  2. Click Section Manager
  3. Immediately hold the Windows key on your keyboard
  4. Now tap the left/right arrows
  5. You should then notice the Section Manager window come into focus from wherever it is hiding. Make sure you don't do anything else before step 3 otherwise it won't have focus.

On 9/20/2023 at 4:08 AM, Chris B said:

I cannot reproduce this in 2005. What I was doing was constantly dirtying the document by placing a shape > save, place a shape > save. I got to over 300 history entries.

As for the rogue window, rather than resetting etc. try this:

1. Click the Window menu
  2. Click Section Manager
  3. Immediately hold the Windows key on your keyboard
  4. Now tap the left/right arrows
  5. You should then notice the Section Manager window come into focus from wherever it is hiding. Make sure you don't do anything else before step 3 otherwise it won't have focus.

Brilliant! Best fix ever. I bet that works in any program out there too. Thanks a ton. I had even tried ghost grabbing at random corners to find it. Was too far gone. This fixed everything.

Just for clarification, I don't think I'd be able to reproduce it in 2005 either. I originally went to Beta because of it. In the new Public release, which seems to be 2.2.0, the issue was still there. I now have the Section Manager window in either version. Thanks again!