You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

why wont color replacement brush work on this image?

The attached image appears to fulfill the requirements of the color replacement brush, but I can not do any actual color replacing as I can in other images.

Is there something about this image that prevents the color replacement brush from working on it? 

Thank you 

markus-winkler-E0QM2H6yP1A-unsplash.jpg

Other than it being white, you mean? 

The misnamed Color Replacement Brush just replaces the Hue, leaving the Saturation and Luminance unchanged. 

So, here's an experiment for you to try: 

1. Set the Color panel to HSL slider mode, and the color to White.

2. Leaving the Saturation and Luminance sliders alone, move the Hue slider around. 

Did the color change at all? 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

No, because when S = L = 100% then changing Hue has no effect. And as the Color Replacement Brush changes only the Hue, it has no effect on a white object either. (You would also find it has no effect on a Black object, I think.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Depending on the result you want, you could try either using a Recolour Adjustment, or paint with a normal brush, on a new layer above with the Blend Mode set to Multiply. (You could just paint directly on your picture with the brush set to Multiply, but if you paint on another layer it's easier to correct if you make any mistakes.)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

No, because when S = L = 100% then changing Hue has no effect. And as the Color Replacement Brush changes only the Hue, it has no effect on a white object either. (You would also find it has no effect on a Black object, I think.)

Walt; 

While you and I as humans would say that the N95 photo is of a "white" mask, if that image were truly white, we wouldn't see anything but white. But in fact we see colors or tones that are not white - albeit very close to white. Not as colorful as a photo of an amazon parrot, but it is an RGB image and I'd think that Photo could change whatever pixels are there. Perhaps vibrant colors are required for the "Color Replacement Brush" to truly shine. If I look very closely, I can see a color of my choosing being imparted, but it's faint, probably because, as you intimated, it isn't a colorful enough image from the software's point of view..too many tones for which the R, G and B are pretty close to each other. Just thinking out loud here..

maybe PaulEC's suggestion to use the regular brush in Multiply will get me where I need to go.