You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher2 Text flow problem

I am entering a book for a friend into Publisher (now v2).  It's over 180 pages. I've managed to create some text flow problems. 

The incoming text flow on page 25 has a small red triangle at the point where the blue text flow line terminates on the upper left side of the page. And, there is a text flow small red triangle and a line going UP starting at the bottom right side of the page, which terminates on the same page with a small red circle a bit above the small red triangle on the left side (noted in the previous sentence.) 

Then, the following page (26) has no text flow indicators. It has text appearing at the immediate top of the page, which is staring in the middle of a sentence and continues to the very bottom of the page.

Something is seriously messed up.

I need help getting this fixed.

I am attaching a screenshot that shows these problems. PLEASE note: This is a very personally revealing book about a woman who is autistic.  Please be discreet - it should not be necessary to read the text to address the flow problems - let's keep this private until she decides to share it with others. Thank You. 

ScreenShot_20230812170156.jpeg

It's difficult to tell from just the screenshot, but I wonder if part of the problem might be that you have somehow got two text frames - one exactly over the other - on page 25.  And the upper has been linked to the lower (or vice versa).  That might account for the text flow line flowing from lower right back up to upper left.  Check the contents of your Layers panel…

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.4.n release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

Gary-

Thank you for the quick reply, and a good attempt to help me. I hadn't thought to check the layers.

Unfortunately, the problem doesn't seem to be located there. I couldn't see anything out of place or order, or suspicious there.

Any other thoughts?

Page 26 is particularly confounding because I can not find any container (text box) for the text on that page.

There appears to be text in the invisible/black area above that page, which I can tell is there by putting the text cursor in the top visible line and using the left arrow repetitively, and it moves to unseen lines above the page and steps backward through a few invisible lines there??

I do have some page formatting items on the top of each chapter page, and those things appear on top of the main story text on that page. I can use the layers panel to hide those page items (chapter number, name & page #.) Their presence doesn't affect the underlying story text.

The text on that page also seems to exist in the invisible/black area below the page, and goes on for some distance down.

If I place the cursor in the middle of page 26 and hit Ctrl-A, text gets highlighted/selected starting on page 8 (where a fresh text flow was initiated) thru p27 and the highlighting continues on to the next 'empty' page showing "ghost/empty" paragraphs??

Weird and frustrating.

Stew

Gary-

Thank you for the quick reply, and a good attempt to help me. I hadn't thought to check the layers.

Unfortunately, the problem doesn't seem to be located there. I couldn't see anything out of place or order, or suspicious there.

Any other thoughts?

Page 26 is particularly confounding because I can not find any container (text box) for the text on that page.

There appears to be text in the invisible/black area above that page, which I can tell is there by putting the text cursor in the top visible line and using the left arrow repetitively, and it moves to unseen lines above the page and steps backward through a few invisible lines there??

I do have some page formatting items on the top of each chapter page, and those things appear on top of the main story text on that page. I can use the layers panel to hide those page items (chapter number, name & page #.) Their presence doesn't affect the underlying story text.

The text on that page also seems to exist in the invisible/black area below the page, and goes on for some distance down.

If I place the cursor in the middle of page 26 and hit Ctrl-A, text gets highlighted/selected starting on page 8 (where a fresh text flow was initiated) thru p27 and the highlighting continues on to the next 'empty' page showing "ghost/empty" paragraphs??

Weird and frustrating.

Stew

• 7 months later...

This is  great thread with a great solution. 

I am having this problem on the ipad in particular. 

often if one forgets to two finger scroll, one can end up accidentally creating tiny stray text frames. 
that creates a huge problem in large documents because text will flow into these frames and it is crazy making. 

is there an easy way to identify these (often right off the page) text frames? 

also, assigning new masters to pages does not seem to always replace the content and there can be stray frames leftover on pages where master pages have been changed or substituted.  

thanks, 

david

7 hours ago, David Battistella said:

I don't use an iPad, but maybe it has this feature. Use the select same function and choose a width less.
If you want to select such frames on one page or on all pages, turn the Edit All layers option on or off.

9 hours ago, David Battistella said:

I am having this problem on the ipad in particular. 

often if one forgets to two finger scroll, one can end up accidentally creating tiny stray text frames. 
that creates a huge problem in large documents because text will flow into these frames and it is crazy making. 

Any objects in the document — whether they’re on the page or the pasteboard, and regardless of how small they are — will be listed in the Layers Studio/Panel. Double-tapping on an icon there (or double-clicking in the case of the desktop apps) will select the corresponding layer/object and zoom in so that it takes up most of the visible part of the workspace. Obviously not very practical if the document has a gazillion layers, but it can be useful in simpler scenarios.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thank you Anto,

that is a very helpful tip. I will let you know if it selects the frames that are not on the page as well. 

i like your window layout as well. Seems like an efficient workflow. If you can share that window layout i would love to try it. 

david

7 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Any objects in the document — whether they’re on the page or the pasteboard, and regardless of how small they are — will be listed in the Layers Studio/Panel. Double-tapping on an icon there (or double-clicking in the case of the desktop apps) will select the corresponding layer/object and zoom in so that it takes up most of the visible part of the workspace. Obviously not very practical if the document has a gazillion layers, but it can be useful in simpler scenarios.

Thank you alfred. I will try this as well. 

ita part of getting used to gestures on the ipad, you can scroll a web page with one finger but to scroll through a document in affinity you have to use two. 

if one forgets and uses one finger on can accidentally select an object or also accidentally create an object depending on what is selected. 

david 

Also double checked all my master pages and one of them had two text frames overlapped.

i may start with a fresh document for this book.  I hope i can save all of the custom text style set  i have created.  Id like that to be a layout i can use as a base again. 

still experiencing a lot of random crashes with this document on ipad. 

david.