You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I transfer my Assets and Symbols to a new drive/installation

Hi, 

I have recently upgraded my computer and re-installed Designer to a new SSD. I tried copying C:\Users\myUser\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Designer\1.0\user\assets.propcol to the new installation (I had done this before and it worked) but this time I don't see them in the Assets drop down menu. 

How can I get my Assets and Symbols back?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

First, Symbols are only saved within a document. They are not related to Assets, though you could, of course, turn a Symbol into an Asset.

Next, for Assets: What release of Designer are you using, and which Store did you purchase it from?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks. I'm not sure what's happening, then, as that's the right place for that release and Store.

Mine, for example, are in C:\Users\Walt\AppData\Roaming\affinity\Designer\1.0\user

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 minute ago, Mario Michetti said:

On another subject, is it normal that the grid lines overwrite my drawing lines and text blocks?

Can you provide a screenshot? They should be under, I think, not over, the data.

-- Walt
PC:

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks. I'm not sure what's happening, then, as that's the right place for that release and Store.

Mine, for example, are in C:\Users\Walt\AppData\Roaming\affinity\Designer\1.0\user

You were right, my error was that I had recently changed the drive of my Jurassic Era i7-950 of 2011 from a Seagate HDD to a Samsung EVO870 Sata SSD and had not copied the assets file to the new installation (that was 6 months ago). Fortunately I had exported them to my OneDrive so I was able to retrieve them.

Thanks. I guess I'd never noticed exactly how the Grid behaves. Here's mine, from V2, in a quick sample:

image.png.e9c6465ea13bbd4368b9564a6c3b8f8c.png

Note that using View > Grid and Axis Manager... you can control the color and the opacity of the lines. Maybe you have them more opaque, or a different color, than you used previously?

-- Walt
PC:

10 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks. I guess I'd never noticed exactly how the Grid behaves. Here's mine, from V2, in a quick sample:

image.png.e9c6465ea13bbd4368b9564a6c3b8f8c.png

Note that using View > Grid and Axis Manager... you can control the color and the opacity of the lines. Maybe you have them more opaque, or a different color, than you used previously?

Well, because I'm designing fretboard diagrams for guitar lessons I need to clearly see the gridlines for proper alignment and set the color fairly dark. I do not see any opacity control in the Grids Manager. I never noticed this before. To me, this is most definitely a bug, but maybe not...At least I'm reassured that my graphics card is functioning properly. 

Many thanks Walt, your responses calmed me down. BTW, is there anyway to darken the sheet's background color a bit. This white background is hard on the eyes for me. 

2 hours ago, Mario Michetti said:

I do not see any opacity control in the Grids Manager.

Not sure what the name is in Windows but on Macs in AD 2 this manager is named "Grid and Snapping Axis" & on the View menu it is called "Grid and Axis..."

It looks like this:

GridSnappingAxi.jpg.c15a5de7740d702d16097046733d744a.jpg

The 2 sliders at the bottom set the opacities.

Are you sure you opened the right manager?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

46 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Not sure what the name is in Windows but on Macs in AD 2 this manager is named "Grid and Snapping Axis" & on the View menu it is called "Grid and Axis..."

It looks like this:

GridSnappingAxi.jpg.c15a5de7740d702d16097046733d744a.jpg

The 2 sliders at the bottom set the opacities.

Are you sure you opened the right manager?

Hi R C-R,

Correct, if you look at my previous post I showed the work around as you suggest. I chose the color BLACK and reduced the opacity. Also putting a grey rectangle behind changes the way the grid lines display. 

Regards,

Mario

3 hours ago, Mario Michetti said:

I chose the color BLACK and reduced the opacity.

Then I do not understand what you meant when you said you did not see any opacity control in the Grids Manager.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 8/4/2023 at 10:55 PM, R C-R said:

Then I do not understand what you meant when you said you did not see any opacity control in the Grids Manager.

I'm using your terms. I don't believe the sliders control opacity. Furthermore, the grid should be completely in the background, behind all artwork and in that case opacity would be totally irrelevant.

7 hours ago, Mario Michetti said:

I don't believe the sliders control opacity.

They do.

7 hours ago, Mario Michetti said:

Furthermore, the grid should be completely in the background, behind all artwork and in that case opacity would be totally irrelevant.

Grids are always overlaid on top of everything else; otherwise objects would cover them & they could not be seen. There is no way to change that.

Affinity Photo 

8 hours ago, Mario Michetti said:

I don't believe the sliders control opacity.

As @R C-R says, they do:

8 hours ago, Mario Michetti said:

Furthermore, the grid should be completely in the background, behind all artwork and in that case opacity would be totally irrelevant.

If they were completely behind everything, doing this would be very difficult as you wouldn't be able to see the grid to figure out when to stop moving the object. Snapping can help, but not always, especially with a finer set of grid divisions.

-- Walt
PC:

On 8/7/2023 at 10:34 AM, walt.farrell said:

As @R C-R says, they do:

If they were completely behind everything, doing this would be very difficult as you wouldn't be able to see the grid to figure out when to stop moving the object. Snapping can help, but not always, especially with a finer set of grid divisions.

Hi Walt, personnaly for what I do, I use grids mostly for snapping and general alignment. See my reply to RCR

16 minutes ago, Mario Michetti said:

I would prefer having the grid behind the artwork as in Illustrator

So I gather it does not bother you or interfere with your workflow that the grid cannot be seen behind your artwork? What if you want to use the grid as a reference for creating or moving new items on top of your artwork?

Affinity Photo 

On 8/4/2023 at 9:51 PM, Mario Michetti said:

On another subject, is it normal that the grid lines overwrite my drawing lines and text blocks?

On 8/4/2023 at 10:46 PM, Mario Michetti said:

I found a workaround that helps. Thought you might be interested. I drew a grey rectangle that I placed in the back at 100% opacity and changed the grid lines to Lightness:

1 hour ago, Mario Michetti said:

I use grids mostly for snapping and general alignment.

Your workaround with black guides + black background object appears unnecessary: You can use grid snapping and grid display independently of each other: You can use snapping without a visible grid, or a visible grid without snapping, or a combination of both.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

On 8/13/2023 at 9:07 PM, thomaso said:

Your workaround with black guides + black background object appears unnecessary: You can use grid snapping and grid display independently of each other: You can use snapping without a visible grid, or a visible grid without snapping, or a combination of both.

Hi Tomaso, 

You are correct concerning grid snapping and grid display. The grey background is to make it easier for my eyes, and as I discovered seems to emulate a bit of the "grid in back" effect of Illustrator.