You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sorting the colors inside a document palette versus a system palette

v2, on MacOS, When I've created a "document palette" of my own, my computer may sort the colors of the palette "alphabetically" the first time but if I try to sort by "color", it won't do anything.  If I create the same color swatch as a "system palette", I can sort alphabetically and by color and back to alpha.  Is there a reason?  Does ADv2 only allow sort by color in system palettes?  Or, is this a bug?  I did not test an application palette.  

Hi @Julie Dalton  Document and Application palettes are stored/only available within your Affinity app.  System palettes are stored along with other macOS system-wide palettes and are therefore subject to slightly different rules.  You can find a bit more about palettes here: https://affinity.help/designer2/English.lproj/pages/Panels/swatchesPanel.html

As a test:

• Create a System palette and give it a distinctive name for the purpose of this demonstration.
  • Go to, say, TextEdit and select Format > Font > Show Colours.
  • Click the Colour Palettes icon (highlighted below) and click the drop down menu that currently shows "Web Safe Colours" - and you'll see your Affinity System Palette listed and available.

2023-08-03_23-16-44.png.2c41a74aec57947f054c2a1307348ec3.png

Regarding your experience with sorting Document palettes actually doing anything, I'm getting the same as you.  The option is offered but does nothing.  However, it seems to work fine for an Application palette.  (If it helps, you can export a Document palette and then reimport it as an Application palette.)

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.4.n release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

4 hours ago, GaryLearnTech said:

Regarding your experience with sorting Document palettes actually doing anything, I'm getting the same as you.  The option is offered but does nothing.  However, it seems to work fine for an Application palette.  (If it helps, you can export a Document palette and then reimport it as an Application palette.)

Thanks Gary - I did export the document palette and imported it as an application palette and was then able to sort it by color or by alphabetical.  Thanks for the work around.  Hadn't thought of it.   Do you think it's a bug or AD truly desires it to work that way (the inability to sort a document palette by color)?

Edited by Julie Dalton

At least on Windows there is additionally a bug (IMO) which by default shows as if swatches were sorted alphabetically while they actually appear unsorted in the original order. There does not seem to way to revert to original order once sorting order is switched (unless recreating the palette; or possibly some app-created file deleted or reset, or manually edited).