You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Frame and Column break create a new paragraph?

22 hours ago, mykee said:

That's the point, that the lines at the bottom of each page should end at the same height, that's the goal.

On 8/2/2023 at 6:21 PM, mykee said:

Since it is running text and the text can move, I don't like to change the frame or set a parameter that might cause problems later on when correcting the text.

6 hours ago, mykee said:

it would be nice to have some solution where an extra line could be sent to the other frame without breaking the text. For this reason, I tried Frame or Column Break

Your conditions …

1. causing a break
2. without any manual addition within the text
3. and no change to the text frame properties
4. while paragraph flow options feel insufficient for you / for individual spots

… sound a bit paradox and might be solved only without any change of text / text frames directly. – Then, how about an additional object that causes a wanted break by  text wrap? (could be stored as asset or on an extra master page)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

As far as the settings are concerned, for me, this is one of the mandatory parameters in the Flow options for the running text:

image.png.5f5be78da0769a49f6a28dda3c278ba8.png

I used Column Break at the beginning of the text breaking, now I delete them and break the text again without adding extra characters, so I only achieve the text breaking by using either the frame options. The extra object thing just isn't necessarily a good thing because I could use that force to set the margin at the bottom, so changing the bottom inset might be a nicer solution (though less visible if the text slides).

18 minutes ago, mykee said:

As far as the settings are concerned, for me, this is one of the mandatory parameters in the Flow options for the running text:

You're saying that you set those options, and you need them for your work? In that case, I think you may have to accept that sometimes you will have uneven breaks at the bottom of frames, because that is one effect of those settings.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

32 minutes ago, mykee said:

The extra object thing just isn't necessarily a good thing because I could use that force to set the margin at the bottom,

What do you mean by "I could use that force to set the margin at the bottom" ? In case you want to avoid text below the story text frames (e.g. page numbers) affected by text wrap you can exclude this in their Text Frame property ("Ignore text wraps").

35 minutes ago, mykee said:

changing the bottom inset might be a nicer solution (though less visible if the text slides)

I might be wrong but vaguely remember to have read that V2 displays the inset in a text frame as a blue line (as it does in V1 only for frames with more than 1 column). This could make a bottom inset visible if the "Preview mode" is not activated.

insetguidebottom.jpg.2f247be6b37c5221b5e59d4cec3cd5ba.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

43 minutes ago, thomaso said:

I might be wrong but vaguely remember to have read that V2 displays the inset in a text frame as a blue line (as it does in V1 only for frames with more than 1 column).

It does not, as far as I know.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1