You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

HSV saturation gives me funky results

• Staff

Hi @user_0815,

Thanks for your report!

I'd like to request a copy of your .afphoto file in order to investigate this further - can you please attach a copy of this here for me?

If you'd like a private upload link for this file, please don't hesitate to ask :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for providing a copy of this document for me - I can confirm I'm seeing the same behaviour, though this may be related to your Lens / RAW file specifically.

I have downloaded a sample RAW file for the Pentax K-1 from Photography Blog, which is using a supported lens and the same issue does not occur -

image.png

Do you have any RAW images from this camera that are using a supported lens? Do you see the same issue when opening this within Affinity? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for providing a copy of this document for me - I can confirm I'm seeing the same behaviour, though this may be related to your Lens / RAW file specifically.

I have downloaded a sample RAW file for the Pentax K-1 from Photography Blog, which is using a supported lens and the same issue does not occur -

image.png

Do you have any RAW images from this camera that are using a supported lens? Do you see the same issue when opening this within Affinity? :)

Attached please find a raw file form the Pentax K-1 with the DA* 60-250 lens which is in the list you linked. 

However, it does happen in any kind of file. For example I've edited a screenshot of an image which shows the same behaviour.

Please note that it only happens in HSV but not in HSL mode.

editing a screenshot of an image.jpg

sample.jpg

IMGP8151.PEF

• Staff
21 hours ago, user_0815 said:

Please note that it only happens in HSV but not in HSL mode.

My sincerest apologies, I thought I had enabled this option in my testing but I can see from my screenshot that this is not the case - that is my mistake!

17 hours ago, Red Sands said:

If I run it through Photoshop (Camera RAW) with and without corrections, I only see serious discolouration in that area when saturation is pushed to the max. And that's very normal.

As above, Photoshop is using HSL adjustment values, which is the same behaviour shown within Affinity Photo when not enabling the aforementioned checkbox.

21 hours ago, user_0815 said:

However, it does happen in any kind of file. For example I've edited a screenshot of an image which shows the same behaviour.

I do agree that the HSV option within Affinity Photo appears to apply saturation in a very aggressive ramp across all images and therefore I will be logging this with our team to be investigated further.

I hope this clears things up :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 1 month later...

A short follow-up: The aggressive ramp does also apply when opening files that were previously edited in V1. Using V2, the image looks different, depending how much of the HSL adjustment was used. It doesn't need much to get the unwanted funky look.

Here a screen capture how it impacts opening a file that was created with V1 and is now opened in V2.

First is Photo V1 where I turn the HSL adjustment on/off. Then I open that file in V2 where the colours are "rather different".

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know & for the recording provided - I'm updating the development log now to include this info :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to bring up another finding. By just Adding the HSL adjustment, there is a colour shift in red. No need to do anything else, just add the default HSL adjustment layer.

As far as I am aware,  this happens when a new 32-bit document is created. Converting to another color space fixes it somehow, for example from Adobe RGB to ROMM RGB.

How to reproduce:

1. Create a new 32-bit document.

2. Add anything of red colour, for example a shape or brush stroke.

3. Add an HSL adjustment layer on top.

When I create a 32-bit document form raw via the develop persona, the existing reds from the raw file ("Background" layer) aren't affected, only the ones that are added later.

Setting the adjustment layer to "Invert contrast" at 50% opacity should make everything grey. But in this case it doesn't. That's why I think it might be a part of the current HSL funkyness. :D

Please see the attached screen capture.

• Staff

Thanks for the screen recording & steps provided!

Interestingly I'm unable to replicate this issue on Windows, as adding the HSL adjustment does not change the colour values in any document - however I'm seeing this same behaviour on macOS and this certainly isn't correct, so I'm logging this as a new issue with our team now.

In further testing, on macOS I can only replicate this when selecting the Red Swatch from the 'Colours' Palette, if I select a Red Swatch from any other Palette, or manually input the colour values, this works as expected. This would also explain why changing the Colour Profile in use would resolve this issue, as this converts the colours in use for the object and stops using the fill from the Swatch.

I don't quite understand how this only occurs with the Colour Palette, though I'm sure our dev team may have more insight here.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

Hi @Dan C,

Just some additional info which may or may not be helpful...

This only affects Photo, everything works as expected in Designer, Publisher and the Photo Persona in both Designer and Publisher.

It looks like a screen re-draw issue and affects all 32-bit profiles but only when the Hue value is set to 0 or 360, set it to 1 or 359 and the Red displays correctly, set it to 0 or 360 and zoom in and out and you see a mix of Red and Pink...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• Staff

Thanks for the above Hangman, I concur that the Hue value seems to be the trigger so I'll update the development log with this now.

Strangely however I'm not seeing the re-draw issue across the shape that's shown in your recording - the whole shape is coloured incorrectly for me, seemingly regardless of document/rectangle size, but I will note this with the team also :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

Hi @Dan C,

It actually appears to be a Hardware Acceleration issue, disable Hardware Acceleration and the issue is no longer there... :)

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• Staff
3 minutes ago, Hangman said:

It actually appears to be a Hardware Acceleration issue, disable Hardware Acceleration and the issue is no longer there... :)

Apologies I forgot to include that within my original response, but I can confirm I found this was true during my testing! 

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 1 month later...