You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinty Publisher 2 / Designer 2 / Foto 2 -

First, you don't Export .afpub or .afdesign or .afphoto; you Save them.

For Saving: Can you provide a screenshot to clarify what you're asking? The Export dialog certainly shows the format. E.g., in this Windows screenshot:

image.png.608cfb156f7180753bd6da52a6b1cf48.png

Are you referring to someplace else?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks.

In the application Settings, under General, you may find an option to Hide File Extensions. How do you have it set?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I don't much like this behaviour, either. However, since other applications exhibit the same, it is probably just following an Apple guideline.

You may find a different result if you enable the Finder preference to show all filename extensions, but as that is not actually needed for useful extensions to be shown anyway, I always keep it disabled and I have not tested for any difference.

@walt.farrell Oddly that Affinity preference appears to have no discernible effect for me. I had assumed that it influences the file output, analogous to the option in my screen grab below (part of the MacOS file info window), but I just A/B tested it and both of my test exports had their extension visible.

Screenshot2023-07-15.png.d3bc43dc78fec9c1cb913c0bde843dcd.png

Edited by GripsholmLion
Bolded the most useful bit of info

@Ludwig: does that mean the option fixed your problem?

-- Walt
PC:

8 minutes ago, GripsholmLion said:

but I just A/B tested it and both of my test exports had their extension visible.

Did you try it in the Export dialog that Ludwig showed in the screenshot?

-- Walt
PC:

@walt.farrell You may have misunderstood, I'm not sure. As I indicated in the first part, I can see the same phenomenon as the OP has, but I believe it to be intended behaviour and probably unalterable. A bit annoying, certainly, but probably more of a MacOS characteristic given that other applications behave the same.

The only possible setting which may alter that display behaviour in apps (I have not tested it yet) is the preference in Finder, as I mentioned above.

My last comment from which you quoted was about exporting two files to test what effect the preference which you mentioned may have, as I was curious about what it actually does. Possibly no effect at all, as it turns out; or at least it did not do what I expected (as I outlined) which was to save one file with a visible extension and one hidden. Nor did it have any effect on the OP's compaint, though I did not expect it to, to be fair.

Addendum: I have tried changing that Finder pref and (for me at least, on Monterey) it did change the app behaviour so that Save dialogues showed the file extension. So @Ludwig Sonntag this may be your answer, as long as you don't mind its quirks; by "all" extensions, Apple isn't joking. Even app names in Spotlight are appended with ".app", quite pointlessly.

1 hour ago, GripsholmLion said:

Possibly no effect at all, as it turns out; or at least it did not do what I expected (as I outlined) which was to save one file with a visible extension and one hidden.

Document files must of necessity always have an extension; the macOS options just determine if it is visible or hidden.

You can also set Finder preferences/settings > advanced to show all filename extensions, which overrides the Get Info hide option. https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/show-or-hide-filename-extensions-on-mac-mchlp2304/mac

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I really do not see the need to quote a post directly above your response. It is a very irritating habit of a lot of people on this forum. But since you did, you should note the wording of the sentence which you quoted.

I am well aware that files need an extension (I didn't fall down in the last rainfall and I have used Macs for two decades).

The point which I made (apparently not plainly enough) was that the suggested setting in Affinity appeared as though it may be analogous to the tick box in Finder's file info pane, which as we know determines the extension's visibility, and may therefore not be related to the OP's query.

As I described, my assumption was wrong because enabling that preference in Affinity did not change anything in file output. Extensions remained visible with this setting enabled (and the Finder preference disabled so that it would not override whatever Affinity did), which left me wondering what its actual function is.

Note, too, that I already suggested, albeit initially doubtfully, the Finder preference and I later had the chance to establish (see edit) that it fixes the OP's complaint about the Save dialogue. I'll be leaving it ticked for the same reason.

7 hours ago, GripsholmLion said:

I really do not see the need to quote a post directly above your response. It is a very irritating habit of a lot of people on this forum.

If the previous post is long and/or contains many points of interest, it is usual (and often useful to readers) to quote part of the post when addressing just that part of it.

This makes it easier for readers to see which part of the post is being addressed rather than the reply being a ‘catch-all’ for every point in the previous post.

For example, this post that I’m writing here doesn’t address the file extension issue, it only addresses the single issue of people quoting from a previous post.

I don’t know why you find it “irritating” but if the reason for that is that you get notifications that you don’t want there is a setting in Account Settings / Notification Settings which you can switch off.