You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What to do about waves when stitching seascape panoramas in AP 1.10.6

Hi there:

I have a question that I am curious about: I want to take seascapes that have all sorts of objects in them including people.  The trouble that I am experiencing is that waves move.  I have seen some ideas in other forums, but I don't that they are really going to work for me at this time, like long exposures to smooth the waves, dual cameras working at exactly the same time, and special lenses that can do very rapid wide-angle panos.

None of these solutions really rock my boat at the moment - are there any other suggestions that anyone else may have found to work?  I would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks so much.

-Michael 😄

Hi,

don’t do stitching of images with waves. Unless you have a strong reason, and you use one of the methods you already know.

There is no silver bullet.

why do you need/want to Stich in the first place? A good ultra-wide lens (rented if money is an object) will serve you better. Waves and stitching are the prime example of anti-pattern or incompatibility. 

Stitching is a powerful method for eligible situations. Waves are not suitable.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Will you rotate the camera from 1 view point … or move it rather parallel to the horizon / shore for the set of single pictures?

Can you isolate the "all sorts of objects in them including people"? If yes, how about taking wave picture(s) separately + adding the objects afterwards? Maybe stacking helps to (auto-)remove the objects to achieve wave-only results that can be used for further editing. Also, stacking can be used to achieve a smoothed sea.

Do you need to maintain the wave details at all (~ a kind of linear structure, with changing perspective from different camera angles?) or what is your concern with long exposure (or blur/motion blur afterwards)?

Or how about taking the waves with a camera with a panorama program … to avoid the need to stitch images manually?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Let me ask again - for what purpose do you want to use stitching in the first place?

normally, you use stitching to get ultra-high-res images of panoramas (wide angle), and influence or avoid lens distortions.

so

• what image angle do you want to cover, 
  • what resolutions is required,
  • which exposure time (impacting motion blur of moving objects like waves or people)
  • what perspective distortions are tolerable or what  correctness is required?
  • Do you want to remove moving objects by long exposure, stacking, …?

This all influences what solutions are possible.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

14 hours ago, mwmentor said:

The trouble that I am experiencing is that waves move.

Did you experience this with already taken test images? Or are you thinking about this in advance?

I did some stitching of water in the past. I was able to retouch the boundaries between the different images (clone brush, stamp tool). But the waving water was not the main object in those images and the waves were not as big like those in an ocean.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil