You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Colour Picker picks up wrong/different color

Hey Guys,

i was looking through google and the forums for a decent while now and couldn't find anything that relates to what i experienced:

I'm having trouble with the colour picker and swatches. For example i have this business card with a green background. The CMYK reads something like 48 0 92 0, but when i use the picker on the shape it seem way brighter and more saturated and if i say it should add it to the swatches it is shown as LAB and the color is way off. I found that it also has to do with wether i set the doc to be RGB or CMYK based? I dunno its probably me, being used to PS and AI and the way things work there, but it seems to be different in AF no?

Also quick sidequestion: I tried the "Add Document Palette" Thing and it just creates an empty palette although i have multiple artboards with vector shapes and illustrations on it. Any idea as to what i'm doing wrong here?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Cheers

Tim

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB, ROG PG348Q

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the color being way off when represented as LAB vs. CMYK color values. You can set the Color panel sliders to show RGB, RGB Hex, HSL, CMYK, LAB, or Greyscale numeric values, but there is no simple way to interpret one set of numbers in terms of the others (except for RGB & RGB Hex, of course), because each of them uses a different color model.

Regarding "Add Document Palette," by design that creates an empty one you can add colors to. If you want a document palette populated with all your currently used colors, use one of the "Create Palette from Document" options farther down in the menu.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry, i totally forgot to reply! Crazy workload atm.

Well i meant that the color appeared to be different, but yeah i guess its more like my own fault for not "getting" how the whole swatches thing work yet.

Currently i have the problem with the predefined "Greys" Palette giving supposedly Black to White, saying i.e. 100% black on CMYK slider in the swatches panel, but when i add the color to say a shape, the color is no pure cmyk black.

Only when i add my own swatch with the cmyk slider it adds the swatch correctly even if i add it to a shape then.

But i will open another topic for this matter too, since it is something totally different. I dunno in general it feels like either im too used to AI/PS etc. or the app has still some issues with color management. Not Pro enough in color management to tell tho. ;P

Greetings

Tim

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB, ROG PG348Q