You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Opening AP from photo managing viewer is not working in AP2 (AP1 is OK)

This is an annoying drawback in AP2: I use separate photo image browser (FastStone) and when needed, I simly open it for editing by previously set  external programs. With AP1 was no problems - AP2 working link was lost and when using lot of time, the link was found from an unexpected place. This way to use links is wery stupid, first when I foud the way to access AP2 it is not opening the AP2 but you have start the AP2 first - second when installing new version AP2 is lost again. Please concentrate at Serif to create a more intuitive user interface, take a look to FastStone image browser - it has simple but effective editing features as well and the user inteface is excelent.

2023-07-04_122820 info.JPG

• Staff

Hi @Masai Vandaali welcome to the forums,

It looks like you're using the sandboxed .MSIX version of the apps which can cause issues when trying to launch the app from external applications without using the 'aflaunch.exe' execution alias workaround.

There is an alternative installer offered for the V2 apps in the form of the MSI/EXE installer, this is not sandboxed and allows you to set a custom install location similar to the V1 installation. I would therefore recommend uninstalling Photo v2 and then installing the app via the .EXE installer, I've linked a forum thread below which goes through how to download the apps via the .MSI/EXE.

Once you have installed the app via the .EXE, you should then be able to link your external app back to the .EXE in the custom install location similar to how it worked with V1.

Another way for MSIX based installments is, to tryout the rerouting to access and open APh then via the aflaunch.exe utility ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2