You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Open Publisher pages in Designer as artboards

I need the full power and convenience of Designer's Export Persona to be applicable to Publisher documents. After many unsuccessful attempts, I'm currently resorting to opening two application, creating all the necessary artboards in Designer, and manually copying page by page using Cmd-A, swap, Cmd-V. And only then proceeding to Export all necessary bits the way I want.

Is there any way to simplify this meaningless manual labor? Perhaps there is a way to open Publisher pages as artboards from a start? I would appreciate any suggestions you may have. Thanks.

21 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Perhaps there is a way to open Publisher pages as artboards from a start?

If the document already has pages & not artboards, I don't think there is any way to do that.

However, it is not clear why you need to convert pages to artboards so if you could tell us exactly why you want to do that, maybe we could help suggest an alternative....

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The overall workflow is as follows. I create the design of a presentation in Affinity Publisher, but then I need individual elements (usually headings and vector shapes in SVG, but sometimes PNGs) that I can easily transfer to the format required by the client (website, Keynote, Pitch, etc. There's something new every day). So I specifically need these separate pieces.

Currently, accomplishing this task quickly is a manual labor nightmare.

I would like to set up exporting in a similar way in Designer so that I don't have to manually rename each item and perform other unnecessary, time-consuming tasks.

Why using APub then at all here (?), when you finally always have to transfer things (the whole) over to ADe Artboards either way then, in order to extract individual elements for some export and the like. - Sounds to me somehow counterproductive and much too cumbersome. - Either do all in ADe Artboards, or instead export individual selected layers from APub here then.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Obviously, because it suits the task of design best. I'm dealing with 70+ pages with logical structure with the need to add a section or two in-between.

Had it the option of exporting to Designer as artboards, it would've even better.

If you don't have any constructive suggestion other than stop using Publisher, than perhaps you can bring much more value somewhere else?

3 minutes ago, elguapo said:

I'm dealing with 70+ pages with logical structure with the need to add a section or two in-between.

I guess I am missing something about what your logical structure needs to be but why can't you do that using 70+ artboards in AD?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

12 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I guess I am missing something about what your logical structure needs to be but why can't you do that using 70+ artboards in AD?

Smart master pages, quick page view with cmd-arrows, 3 Personas, auto-flow, all text frame features, data merge, adding comments to preflight check, etc, etc

+ it's like a book or pitch deck, everything is ordered, I can quickly move sections if needed, export wip to client to discuss and tons of other subtle things that even funny to say out loud.

Guys, really. There is some small benefit in using Publisher for this kind of work.

For some purposes (but probably not others) you might try:

1. Export the file from Publisher as a PDF.
  2. Open the PDF in Designer. Each page will be an Artboard.

Alternatively, you can Open the Publisher .afpub file in Designer, and you have all the data as Pages but you can use the Export Persona. The limitation is that you can only use it on one page at a time.

Those are your only options, as far as I know. If you need something else, feel free to make a request in the Feedback forum, where the Serif planners look for them.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, elguapo said:

If you don't have any constructive suggestion other than stop using Publisher, than perhaps you can bring much more value somewhere else?

Personally for presentations, I would aready (re)use some presentation software tool for such tasks, ideally one which is suited to support all that what I commonly need here right out of the box. - But the sort of presentations I do (... technical software dev workflows, design patterns, training employees in certain software & software design ...etc.) might be possibly different from what you do, or what you have in mind here with presentation designs.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2