You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

2.1 and 2.1.1 - Freeze when closing or quitting

Postings moved from another thread that related to crashes using NIK. These freezes on quit or closing a document are not related to using NIK.

1st Post: This is REALLY very frustrating! I can rarely, if ever, close any number of documents, much less quit APub 2.1 final without getting a freeze. Makes working in 2.1 a HUGE PITA.  Can't seem to find the common element that causes certain documents to cause the freeze when closing them, nor why the app freezes on quit. But is is MISERABLE to use right now! 

2nd Post: Just tried the new 2.1.1.1847 with some of my problematic files and it seems in initial testing to resolve the problem. [only worked correctly on the first quit/close.]

Interestingly, while back in the 2.1 beta testing, the crashes/freezes I was getting on close/quit were from trying NIK. However, after release of 2.1, I was finding that several other files were causing the freezes on close/quit, none of which had used NIK nor had NIK been opened during the sessions. 

3rd Post: Spoke too soon. Left APub in the background with the suspect files open. Did other work, upgraded the other betas. Came back and tried to quit APub and once again it froze. No crash report. It closes all the docs visually, but then simply shows the spinning beachball and requires a forced quit.

Happy to package and upload the docs involved with a provided dropbox link.

UPDATE: Reopened with all the docs. Tried to close one of them that may be a problem and it froze just by closing that one doc. 

4th Post: Interesting! I re-opened with just a small test doc open plus a suspect one. Made a package of that doc for upload. Then I did a Save As of that doc. I then was able to close it without a freeze. I then re-opened APub 2.1.1, opened two of the other suspect docs, plus still had the small test doc open plus the new version (the Saved As) of the highly suspect doc. Could switch back and forth between the docs, but when I tired to close that doc, freeze again. 

Apparent that 2.1.1 has not resolved the freeze on close/quit problem for me.

None of the freezes generate a crash report.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

• Staff

when the beachball is spinning can you go to activity monitor and inspect the hung process, ( Select process then use View, Inspect Process). If you send us the report it may give a clue to why it is freezing

Not 100% sure of the report you are referring to, but attached is the Activity Monitor, Sample. 

Interestingly, I have had 2 of the 3 suspected files open and working on for the last several days without an issue. That seemed to point to the one I was most suspect of. In order to do this report, i closed the other 2, left open one simple one that stays open all the time, then opened the most suspect one. Tried a quit and it didn't hang. Re-opened and left sitting for awhile. Quit and it didn't freeze. 

I then opened the other 2 more complex docs that had been working fine on their own the last several days, but also opened the most suspect one. Sure enough, trying to quit caused the freeze. Thus it has something to do with those three docs being open at the same time. (No, none of them have a NIK filter, etc.)

Report attached.

Sample of Affinity Publisher 2 Beta.txt

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

Interesting! After force quitting APub and sending the report, I re-opened with the 3 suspect docs plus the minimal one to see if I could actually close the most suspect one. Sure enough, I was able to get to that doc fast enough to close it without a freeze. That confirms that it takes a period of time before closing/quitting causes a freeze with those docs open. 

NOTE: This does remind me of back in the initial v2 testing where having ADes linked items within an APub doc was causing crashes/freezes. And the docs in question now do contain several ADes and APhoto docs linked. Might not be related, but thought I'd mention it.

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

Been working with it today following doing the freeze and report, and without having the most highly suspect document open (Vital sellsheet), I can work on the other 2 docs (with the simple 3rd doc always open) without a problem. I can close, open, quit and no freezes. It appears that only when I have the "Vital" document open WITH the other 2 (plus the 3rd simple doc) do I get the freeze when I close a doc or quit.

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

@Pauls All 4 zipped packages uploaded. 

• Test Page: always open, never an issue (was back a few versions when linked eps caused issues)
  • A4 Advert: Can work, open, close, quit with this one no problem, and works fine even with Editorial and Test Page open.
  • Editorial: Same as the A4 Advert doc.
  • Vital: This is the one that is most suspect. When it is open with the others, will eventually freeze at closing or quit. Happens every time. That said, it can be closed if done within seconds of opening. But if a little time passes, will freeze the app every time.

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

• Staff

The issue "App lock when closing file" (REF: AFB-7821) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.2.0.1870".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

Initial test in v2.2 beta seems to indicate that this is fixed. Oddly, when opening all previous docs in 2.2 beta, it requires updating virtually all the linked resources in RM. 

--------------------

iPad Air 2022