You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

APh 2.1 - shortcut "switch temporarily" not working anymore ?

APh 2.1

Win 10 22H2

In the past it was possible to change tools temporarily with shortcuts:

E.g.

Select paint brush tool.

Hit E shortcut for erase tool

Hit E again to switch back to paint brush tool.

I am trying this in V2.1 and it is not working. Hitting E switches to erase but hitting E again does not switch back to paint brush.

Any setting I am missing

I tried with use shift key to circle tool groups in preferences on and off.

For me in Photo 2.1 on Windows 10, pressing the E key cycles through the Erase Brush Tool, the Background Erase Brush and the Flood Erase Tool.

This is the same as was in V1.
As far as I know I haven’t made any modifications to the default keyboard shortcuts.

When you say “in the past”, do you mean earlier with V2 or with V1?
If you upgraded from V1 to V2, did you tell the software to copy your shortcuts over?

The only similar toggle I'm aware of is the space bar in windows. Pressing and holding the spacebar invokes the Hand/Pan tool. Release it, and you're back at the prior tool. For example if you're using the Pen tool to outline an object, and you need to move the canvas. You don't need to select the hand tool to move the canvas, then select the pen tool again. Just press down the spacebar and hold it.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Example in v1:

- I use paint brush

- I hit I for color picker

- I select color

- I hit I again to switch back to paint brush

see also this thread:

use shift key to circle tool groups in preferences is off.

Now in V2.1 this is not working anymore.

(and it seems the eraser did not work in V1 either but color picker did work).

The procedure you have just mentioned works for me in V2.1 – see attached video.
Are you sure you haven’t modified your keyboard shortcuts or something?

(I would suggest that if you want help with the first problem then it’s probably best if you stick to that problem rather than introducing other things which could start to confuse the situation.)

Thanks for testing.

No, I have not changed the shortcuts for color picker and eraser - but others ones I did change.

Can you be so kind to also try it with E (eraser)?

If it works on your Windows system but not on mine it might be that I need to reset the preferences.

Thanks again.

Regarding the cycling within a tool group:

There is a setting in preferences called: use shift key to circle tool groups

I have this active in my settings (it means only cycle throught the tools if shift key is pressed).

I like to have the erase tool work like the color picker tool. But it seems that is not working as I expect it. I also tested with V1 now and it is the same there.

So in general the "hit shortcut again" function to switch back to previous tools seems to work for color picker but not for eraser.

Hm, bug, feature request?

• Staff
2 hours ago, cgidesign said:

Thanks again.

Regarding the cycling within a tool group:

There is a setting in preferences called: use shift key to circle tool groups

I have this active in my settings (it means only cycle throught the tools if shift key is pressed).

I like to have the erase tool work like the color picker tool. But it seems that is not working as I expect it. I also tested with V1 now and it is the same there.

So in general the "hit shortcut again" function to switch back to previous tools seems to work for color picker but not for eraser.

Hm, bug, feature request?

Hi cgidesign,

This does look like a bug, i've reported this to be looked into.

Lee