You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Apple font "SF Pro" doesn't render correct

Affinity Publisher doesn't render all weights in Apple's font SF Pro correctly. https://developer.apple.com/fonts/
The SFPro-ExpandedRegular is what I used. But the Compressed versions are also not correct.

I have attached screenshots from Affinity Publisher and Pixelmator Pro, which render the correct correctly.

SF Pro
Format: OpenType TrueType
Version: 19.0d6e1

af.png

pixelmator.png

Expanded and Compressed are style attributes of the instances in the variable font.

Affinity applications do not support variable fonts.

As is typical with these Apple development fonts, there are intentional errors in the static fonts which will cause issues in any applications which use the style groups.
So even trying to use the static fonts may also have issues.

There are fixed static versions available on GitHub, and in various font groups.

• 9 months later...
On 6/6/2023 at 4:48 PM, kenmcd said:

There are fixed static versions available on GitHub, and in various font groups.

Do you happen to have a link to any of those, I've trying to find the static versions with no luck! :(

I hope Affinity gets support for these types of font soon! It's getting pretty annoying having to use a third-party app (like Slice) in order to remake every variable font weight needed in a project! Especially this font now, it has 25 predetermined weights, that's a lot of work!

None of the fonts in that repo will work properly in Affinity or any application which looks at style groups - the Bold and Italic buttons depend on this. They have not been fixed.
The other repo I was thinking about called them "for Windows 10," and added TTF versions, but I just checked and he also did not fix the fonts.

There are ton of name conflicts.
So if you install them all - there will be issues.
Such as the wrong font embedded in a PDF, etc.

17 hours ago, thedzko said:

Especially this font now, it has 25 predetermined weights, that's a lot of work!

Which font? - do not know any version which has 25 named instances.
SF Pro variable from the developer site currently has 36 instances.
It has three axes - opsz, wght, wdth
The older SF Pro variable with two axes (opsz, wght) had only had 9 instances.
SFNS - the macOS system font - currently has 369 named instances.

Have not seen any static versions by width.
If you need/want various widths - you will have to make those yourself.
Text, Display, Compact, etc. are basically optical sizes they made static fonts for.

It really does not matter what they did with the named instances (in any VF font).
You can make what ever you want, or actually need.