You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The bounding boxes for masks (the area allowed to paint inside) doesn't always increase / decrease automatically. Masking an image outside of an artboard bugs it out somehow.

Here's a file showcasing the issue. I don't know how to replicate it entirely, but the whole right side won't mask at all in this example: 

Mask Issues.afphoto

Also, masks don't affect outside of the artboard and I think it's a strange behavior. Especially for cutting out objects. It's a lot of extra work for no reason. We shouldn't need to Rasterize > Trim and lose the photos quality as a workaround.

Your mask layer has dimensions and a bounding box! Which is unusual

In the Transform dialog the mask starts at a negative value and is 3445.1 px wide which is not enough to cover the right-hand side of the image which explains the inability to access that side of the mask

9 hours ago, DylanGG said:

I don't know how to replicate it entirely

Me neither, but that may/would be the key to find out what happened

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

Hi @DylanGG,

Thanks for your report and your file provided!

Unfortunately without much more information it's going to be hard to determine how this file resulted in this mask not covering the full image - unless after creating the mask (using various methods), you then used the Move Tool to transform the size/position of the mask. This is the only way I am able to replicate a document similar to the one you've provided.

However in moving the mask after creating, I am able to replicate a bug in how this is calculated on the right/bottom size of the mask, which I'm logging with our developers now and is likely related to the document you have provided -

20 hours ago, DylanGG said:

Also, masks don't affect outside of the artboard and I think it's a strange behavior. Especially for cutting out objects. It's a lot of extra work for no reason. We shouldn't need to Rasterize > Trim and lose the photos quality as a workaround.

As I understand it from the thread linked above, this is expected behaviour as when creating a mask from a selection, the selection adheres to the same bounds as the canvas itself, meaning when moving the mask the area outside the canvas is not included.

Using the 'Empty Mask' layer suggestion in this thread should resolve this for you without the need to rasterise and trim - as this mask type is not created based on the layers bounds.

10 hours ago, carl123 said:

Your mask layer has dimensions and a bounding box! Which is unusual

An Empty Mask layer does not have any dimensions/a bounding box, however once there is content within the mask, the bounding box and dimensions will be shown for this mask content, for example:

I hope this clears things up :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hey @Dan C

Thanks for the quick response and explanations!

How to reproduce the bug, this is somehow connected with my other issue below:

Unfortunately, for my workflow the Empty Mask is still wonky. It doesn't affect the layer outside of the canvas. When compositing or fading a background (that's out of the canvas) it's really tedious to re-mask / re-fade the background every time it's moved.

I think it would make more sense for the bounds of masks to be around the bounds of the image being masked rather than the canvas. (So whether the image is inside or outside of the canvas the image is always being masked.) I'm sure this would probably solve that bug above as well.

Here's an example:

• Staff

Many thanks for your screen recordings provided! I've been able to replicate the inverse of the issue shown in my recording and therefore have reported this to our developers also.

On 5/26/2023 at 4:36 PM, DylanGG said:

I think it would make more sense for the bounds of masks to be around the bounds of the image being masked rather than the canvas. (So whether the image is inside or outside of the canvas the image is always being masked.) I'm sure this would probably solve that bug above as well.

I agree, and I can certainly see the benefits to such a workflow, so I will be requesting this as an improvement for a future update with our team for you now.

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!