You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

»Add Pages From File« Requires a Target Page Number Even if »After Last Page« Is Selected

Hey forum!

I'm not sure if this is a bug or if I'm missing something. Basically I simply want to import all pages from document A into B after the last page. However, I'm asked to specify a valid target page. Am I misunderstanding the message? Why do I get the below warning?

Also, even if I wanted to, I can't access any boxes with this setting. 🤔

Thanks for any help! 😊

image.png.1ab9ba91d0ac5bfb9363ac0cb97cb7bd.png

Edited by Mr. Doodlezz
Changed the title to better represent the issue

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png

You're not missing anything, this is a bug in the Windows version and AFAIK it hasn't been reported previously.

In both 2.0.4 and the 2.1 beta on macOS, it works the way you would expect. Choosing After Last Page shouldn't require you to enter a page number. The field is disabled on macOS. I can't tell from the screenshot whether it's disabled or not but regardless it shouldn't give you an error.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• Staff
2 hours ago, Mr. Doodlezz said:

I'm not sure if this is a bug

When you first brought up the Add Pages dialog, what was in the box next to Pages?  Was it the last page number?  If so, did you delete it? I agree there is a bug here but for me to trigger it i had to delete the number from the Pages field, set Add Pages to Last Page and then click okay.  I just want to make sure i'm getting the recipe correct 

@MikeTOThe field is disabled on Windows when you set Add Page to Last Page, however if you delete the page number first, then set Last Page and try to add the page, you'll get the error.  MacOS won't allow you to leave that field empty, you can delete the page number but as soon as you leave that field, it comes back.

20 hours ago, stokerg said:

When you first brought up the Add Pages dialog, what was in the box next to Pages?  Was it the last page number?  If so, did you delete it?

Hey @stokerg, thanks for chiming in.

There are two scenarios:

1. Having a page selected results in »Pages: [current page number]« (e.g. you're working on page 3 and decide to import a few pages from another document, the dialogue shows »Pages: 3«)
  2. Have no page selected at all by left-clicking in the empty space next to/below the two pages surrounding it and then right-clicking, resulting in »Pages: [field is empty]«.
    In order for the »empty space« to appear on the bottom right side, you may need to expand the Pages palette a little, depending on how many pages your current document currently uses.
    image.png.3f1543b27d09c60cf8a2f379dd02a462.png

For me it was the 2nd scenario.

Hope this helps
Dennis

Edited by Mr. Doodlezz
Clarified scenario two for better understanding and replication.

1 hour ago, stokerg said:

MacOS won't allow you to leave that field empty, you can delete the page number but as soon as you leave that field, it comes back.

I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about … but it looks to me like it actually can be empty? (This is a screenshot on MacOS following the 2nd scenario. Publisher release 2.0.4)

image.png.cce3a4efef2fcf6c2eca1895d4aab47e.png

• Staff
16 hours ago, Mr. Doodlezz said:

I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about … but it looks to me like it actually can be empty? (This is a screenshot on MacOS following the 2nd scenario. Publisher release 2.0.4)

Which version of MacOS are you running?  On both my MacBook and iMac running Ventura, when I clear the Pages field, the page number comes back as soon as I select another option on that window.

17 hours ago, Mr. Doodlezz said:
  • Having a page selected results in »Pages: [current page number]« (e.g. you're working on page 3 and decide to import a few pages from another document, the dialogue shows »Pages: 3«)
  • Having no page selected at all by clicking in the empty space next to any page results in »Pages: [field is empty]«

Mysekf and another member of Tech Support have tried replicating both of these on Windows and haven't been able to.  The only time we can get that box to be empty is when we delete the Page number of that field.  Could you provide a screen recording, either from Mac or Windows, as I feel I'm missing part of the puzzle and it would be good to see the issue in action, so i can get it logged correctly with the Dev team :) 

• Staff
8 minutes ago, Mr. Doodlezz said:

Here is a clip showing both scenarios in sequence.

Thank you :) 

I know where I was going wrong, I was using the option on  Document>Add Pages From File, which always gives me a field with a Page number, yet when I do it from the Right Click menu in the Pages panel, that field does indeed open blank!  I'll get both of these issues logged with the Dev team :) 

4 minutes ago, stokerg said:

Thank you :) 

I know where I was going wrong, I was using the option on  Document>Add Pages From File, which always gives me a field with a Page number, yet when I do it from the Right Click menu in the Pages panel, that field does indeed open blank!  I'll get both of these issues logged with the Dev team :) 

I see! Haha, and I didn’t consider trying it via the menu. 😅

Glad you can log it. 😉

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...