You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please Fix The Multitasking Menu Button Covering the Menu Bar Before Final Release

The iPadOS Stage Manager 3-Dot Multitasking Menu button covers options in the Affinity app’s toolbars.  This has been a bug that I’ve had to work around since the initial release version of the V2 apps, and it is a major nuisance when I’m using them.  I use Stage Manager for everything else, it’s a very useful setting, and not a single other app I use has this issue.  Switching Stage Manager off for a few apps is not a good option.  I think this bug is partly the result of another related bug with the “Show Status Bar” setting, which has never worked as long as I’ve been using Affinity V2 apps on iPadOS.  This is also a major nuisance because I can’t glance up and see my battery level while I’m working.  Often I’ve wound up with really low battery because I can’t check and know when I need to plug in very readily.  This should be fixed, and I think that both could be fixed with one improvement.  It just needs to be able to add the strip at the top of the UI to accommodate both of those things.   Please fix this before Final Release, because I don’t want to be dealing with this issue for the next half-year or whatever until you release V2.2.  This needs to be addressed, I can’t imagine I’m the only one having this issue, and it’s a real pain in the neck to try to work around, but it would be even more of a pain in the neck to switch off Stage Manager.  Please fix this, it’s really starting to irritate me, especially because this glaring bug hasn’t been addressed in this entire beta cycle, even though I was assured that it was a noted bug that would be addressed soon.

IMG_1213.jpeg

12 minutes ago, HarryMcGovern said:

I’m not seeing this on my iPad.

You don't seem to have Stage Manager active, as its "..." icon is not present.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, HarryMcGovern said:

Hmmm. So where do I find it? In preferences? I’ll look.

It would be in Settings, assuming you have iPadOS 16.3 or later, and the function is supported on your iPad.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

9 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It would be in Settings, assuming you have iPadOS 16.3 or later, and the function is supported on your iPad.

Ah, that. Yes I have that on the iPad. 
but even in the latest beta there’s no sign of the … for multitasking at the top of the app. Or anywhere else for that matter. Other apps, ok, not Affinity.

iPad Mini 6.  256GB.

Publisher. Designer. Photo for Mac, PC & iOS 

@Affinity-Inspiration

It's certainly present on my 12.9" iPad, and yes, it gets in the way. 

It's not a beta-specific problem, though.

-- Walt
PC:

Just now, walt.farrell said:

It's certainly present on my 12.9" iPad, and yes, it gets in the way. 

It's not a beta-specific problem, though.

Ok, so as I’ve never tried to use it, I didn’t notice its absence. 
as you can see from the image I posted. It doesn’t show at all on my smaller iPad 

iPad Mini 6.  256GB.

@Affinity-Inspiration

1 minute ago, HarryMcGovern said:

It doesn’t show at all on my smaller iPad 

But it does show in other apps on that iPad?

-- Walt
PC:

17 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

But it does show in other apps on that iPad?

Yes, it does. Works fine. I’ve been sitting here playing with it. But not with Affinity apps. It’s a no show there.

iPad Mini 6.  256GB.

@Affinity-Inspiration

35 minutes ago, HarryMcGovern said:

Ok, so as I’ve never tried to use it, I didn’t notice its absence. 
as you can see from the image I posted. It doesn’t show at all on my smaller iPad 

Ok, I have Split View running, with LumaFusion in the left pane. I start Designer and get this… Slid over does wrk though, but as before, I can’t initiate it from Affinity Designer

IMG_0394.thumb.png.a29a4f3f5203ee14dda3d578baae6b91.png

IMG_0396.png

Edited by HarryMcGovern
Added a bit…

iPad Mini 6.  256GB.

@Affinity-Inspiration

4 hours ago, HarryMcGovern said:

So has this been reported as a bug? Or should I do that.???

The missing multi-tasking button hasn't been reported as far as I know.

On the other hand, the FAQ still says that Stage Manager is not supported, and I don't think it was listed as a planned improvement for 2.1, so it's not clear it's a bug :) 

-- Walt
PC:

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The missing multi-tasking button hasn't been reported as far as I know.

On the other hand, the FAQ still says that Stage Manager is not supported, and I don't think it was listed as a planned improvement for 2.1, so it's not clear it's a bug :) 

Ok, I’ll leave it. I never use it anyway so if anyone else does, and needs it I’m sure they can report it.

Thanks

iPad Mini 6.  256GB.

@Affinity-Inspiration

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:

On 5/4/2023 at 5:10 AM, Gabe said:

we are aware of this issue. 

I’m really hoping that this translates into the issue getting fixed eventually.  I’m not exactly looking forward to the prospect of having to try to work around this for the next half a year (assuming the next update even deemed it worth fixing).  Honestly, I thought an issue as obvious as this would have been fixed in the first minor update.  I understand there are other things to do with the software, but I’m surprised something like this that’s so obvious and surface-level doesn’t seem to be a high priority.  I could easily see the inconvenience of having to work around this causing someone new to the software to not want to try to work around it and explore alternative options.  I love this software, and so I’m willing to work around a few things because I really like your business model and your software, but this is a bit of a hassle to have to work around, and it seems like it would be an easy fix.