You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Making real sense on the Typography panel use.

I have been trying to find a tutorial that will in simple terms the use of the typography pane". I have gone on sites and found lots of people who are willing to advise without any concept of typography theory or history, All I want to know is how to set up a paragraph, line space  and kern simply. I want to use simple readable typography without all the.pretty affects, Is there some one put there who can help me in real terms., I'd love to hear from you about the Affinity system. What ever happen to half points?

JH

The Typography panel is really dependant on the font's available glyphs. Here are the a couple of screenshots, one shows all the choices for Arial and the other shows a portion of the EB Garamond choices.

1824842231_ScreenShot2023-04-20at8_11_47AM.png.03e937345d527b78082266e84d008acb.png    853720853_ScreenShot2023-04-20at8_12_21AM.png.a1d339fefc78e133d3d92fbc76d09fe2.png

As for your question about half points... You can set any fraction you want but you have to use decimal, so 12 1/2 points becomes 12.5 points.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

51 minutes ago, Sketcher504 said:

All I want to know is how to set up a paragraph, line space  and kern simply.

You do not need the Typography panel for any of those. The Paragraph panel will handle paragraph setup and line spacing. Letter spacing or tracking (perhaps what you mean by kerning) can be handled in the Character panel. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

43 minutes ago, Sketcher504 said:

This is what I want to. know. I don't want to go Line by line,

Paragraph Styles will help you. Typography panel will be of no use here. A single Text Frame with a couple of Text Styles (A Paragraph Style (or two) and a Character Style for the bold text).

Are you using Designer or Photo or Publisher for this?

Designer.afdesign

Publisher.afpub

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.