You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bleed doesn't export for PNG, JPG, TIFF, etc

Osric

This bug has been around for a very long time. If you export an artboard as a PNG or other bitmap and have "show bleed" checked, the bleed isn't exported. It's just blank. This only seems to work as expected with PDFs.

There's a video on YouTube where another user explains this in detail: 

• 1 year later...

This is still not completely fixed in v2.5.3

I need to export parts of my Publisher layout as a bitmap to use it as background image in blender 3d. There i want to model some 3d objects and render the whole illustration INCLUDING the needed bleed in the same aspect ratio as the original Publisher layout. Then i finally want to import the rendering back into Publisher and everything would be in place.

image.png.1f9afdf3bb22f106de777ac0323631c9.png

This was the plan. Since the background image (sky) covers only parts of the document, i want to choose "selection only" or "area of selection", to export only the distinct area. But if i do so, the option "including bleed" is deactivated in the export dialog. Furthermore the areas outside the document boundaries (bleed) are still rendered as a white frame. So i have to export the whole document including bleed, open the bitmap, cut the unwanted area away, re export it...

All these workarounds are unnecessary waste of time 🙄

image.png.c21f5d7c59d286b396c76eb90dad6554.png

In my opinion, this behaviour is not correct, as the "Selection only" option(s) would always have to export the complete bounding box of all currently selected elements. Regardless of whether they are outside the document boundaries.

When preparing documents for print, it is often necessary to treat individual elements separately. I recently had an example during prepress for a huge facade banner (670 x 470 cm). I had to create the layout at a scale of 1:10 (1500dpi) and export the entire background illustration as a bitmap with 1500dpi in order to import it again later as a ready compressed CMYK jpg image. This made it possible to avoid a further conversion during the final export to PDF/X-3. And in this case, I also needed the entire illustration including bleed!

Hardware: Windows 11 Pro (23H2, build 22631.3880, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22700.1020.0), Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900K @3.20 GHz, 128 GB RAM, NVIDIA RTX A4000 (16GB VRAM, driver 551.61), 1TB + 2TB SSD. 1 Display set to native 2560 x 1440.
Software: Affinity v1 - Designer/Publisher/Photo (1.10.6.1665), Affinity v2 (universal license) - Designer/Publisher/Photo, v2 betas.

1 hour ago, 4dimage said:

This is still not completely fixed in v2.5.3

Serif doesn't think it's been fixed at all, as the Affinity Info Bot has not posted here to give any details of the fix. 

But the bug logged here is specifically about Artboards, so while you may have a related issue I think it's different. 

It would be best, I think, if you created your own topic about this so it can be investigated properly to determine if it is the same, or different.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
    Laptop 2: Windows 11 Pro 24H2,  16GB memory, Snapdragon(R) X Elite - X1E80100 - Qualcomm(R) Oryon(TM) 12 Core CPU 4.01 GHz, Qualcomm(R) Adreno(TM) X1-85 GPU
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.6.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.6.1