You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bug: Artboard Resize will affect Frame Text, even with 'Lock Children' selected

I've just discovered this weird glitch in AD V2.04.

When resizing an artboard with 'Lock Children' ticked, frame text will still get affected by the resize.

This only happens when using the extra bottom-right corner node.

Interestingly, the tooltip at the bottom of my window shows "Drag to resize text', even though I was resizing the Artboard.

image.png.b0be351a03d2a14bda7697be8fbc53c9.png

To replicate the issue

1. Open the attached .AFDESIGN file.
  2. Drag the bottom right corner node of the artboard to resize it.
  3. Frame Text gets resized, but Artistic Text does not.

Artboard Resize Text Issue.afdesign

• Staff

Hi @Checkmate,

Thanks for your report!

I'm not 100% certain of the expected behaviour here - as essentially these options counteract one another.

Enabling 'Lock Children' for the Artboard should mean that the layers are not affected with the resizing of the Artboard, however the dethatched tool handle that you are using is specific to Frame Text objects and will always rescale the text when used - so I can see reasoning behind the text being scaled, and remaining the same size when using both of these options together.

However, if you wish to avoid the Frame Text rescaling then you can simply not use the detached handle, which is only shown when your selection contains a Frame Text object and therefore this allows creative control of the desired behaviour, even with Lock Children enabled - therefore I believe this is correct behaviour, but I will be sure to double check this with the team for you.

15 hours ago, Checkmate said:

Interestingly, the tooltip at the bottom of my window shows "Drag to resize text', even though I was resizing the Artboard.

As I understand it, this will be included in the Hint Line when your selection (or Artboard) contains a Frame Text object and the detached handle is shown.

I hope this clears things up :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Ah okay, I didn't realise that extra handle only appeared when a frame text box was within the artboard!

I will just use the regular handle with Shift to resize whilst keeping the aspect ratio.

I'm actually curious as to why this detached handle even gets added to the artboard? It means we have to be extra precise to only select the 'inner handle'.

As a side question (cos it's kind of related to resizing artboards) - In my document above, I can't get the artboard to snap to to the edges of the text box (or anything else for that matter). Is there a reason artboards don't snap when dragging the edges?

Sometimes I will want to resize my artboards to match the contents, but this is difficult when they don't snap.

22 minutes ago, Checkmate said:

I'm actually curious as to why this detached handle even gets added to the artboard? It means we have to be extra precise to only select the 'inner handle'.

Its purpose is to allow you to resize the parent (Artboard) and simultaneously rescale the frame text contents to match. But yes, it does mean you need to be careful not to use it when you don't want that function.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1