You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Boolean operation with Text - Divide works inconsistently

So I am trying to create a letter with a line laced through it. So I create the letter (let's say A), then I create a path using the pen tool. And then do a divide operation so that I can bring the path or letter to the front with each cut out part. But it divides fine for every cut except for the second cut, where it only creates one part where it is supposed to create 2.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a letter (I used A) using the artistic tool

2. Draw a continuous line using the pen tool, zig zag across the letter

3. Select the line, and then do layer->expand stroke

4. Duplicate the letter

5. Select the duplicated letter layer and the line, click Divide from the boolean operations list

I have attached an image of the issue, most of the divisions are correct, except for the selected division which should ideally have one more cut, but dint seem to cut it correct.

Affinity designer bug.png

Edited by stackoversdesign
Making steps to reproduce clearer

Hi @stackoversdesign and welocme to the forums...

In your screenshot you have two layers selected, if you hide the lower of the two selected layers does that not then give you what you need...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

If you expand the stroke then you can use the Shape Builder tool.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

It seems to be working correclty in @Hangman 's video, which makes me doubt if its just my installation that is acting weird (which is very difficult to understand how). If i hide the lower layer according to that that section disappears, while in ideal scenario half of that section should remain intact. I tried reinstalling and still has that problem.

This was just to show an example of how this was filing for me, my main intention is to do something else with the divide tool which is giving me a similar problem. And udnerstand if it is actually a problem or just me.

10 hours ago, stackoversdesign said:

It seems to be working correclty in @Hangman 's video, which makes me doubt if its just my installation that is acting weird (which is very difficult to understand how). If i hide the lower layer according to that that section disappears, while in ideal scenario half of that section should remain intact. I tried reinstalling and still has that problem.

There is no obvious reason for this not working... I would perhaps try redrawing your red line and trying it again to see if it works as expected, or try moving the second node (top right of the first Z shape) a tiny amount up or down to see if that has any impact...

As @Old Bruce mentioned, an alternative option could be the Shape Builder tool though it ultimately depends what you are wanting to achieve, can you elaborate further on what you are hoping to do using the divide boolean?

Shape Builder Tool Approach

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse