You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Where is the typen panel?

An embarrassing question, but how does one FIND the various panels? I've looked in the menu bar and not seen the type panel, the one I need. To say "use the whatever" without specifying exactly how to access it is an all too common flaw in all programs. The people who design the program know where it is, so presumably the users do too. For those of us older folks who don't have the instincts, it would sure help to spell this out. 

I need the type panel to fix leading, and can't find it.

3 minutes ago, Churchy said:

An embarrassing question, but how does one FIND the various panels? I've looked in the menu bar and not seen the type panel, the one I need. To say "use the whatever" without specifying exactly how to access it is an all too common flaw in all programs. The people who design the program know where it is, so presumably the users do too. For those of us older folks who don't have the instincts, it would sure help to spell this out. 

I need the type panel to fix leading, and can't find it.

In version 1 they are located in the View > Studio menu and in version 2 they are listed in the Window menu. Note that the various text ones are grouped as Text and References in the Window menu.

You can also open the Paragraph and Character panels from the Context Bar when the Text tool is selected.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

1 hour ago, Churchy said:

An embarrassing question, but how does one FIND the various panels?

If you are using the Mac versions and you know the correct name of the panel (so here it is Text, not Type) you can type that name into the search field in the Help menu & a list of all the matches will pop up, including opening the menu where the panel appears with a floating marker next to the menu item if you hover the pointer over that item in the list.

This is not a feature built into Affinity; it is part of the Mac OS help system. I don't think there is anything similar built into Windows.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

34 minutes ago, Red Sands said:

put panels under Windows which actually makes sense

Maybe in MacOS, in which these panels are said to be placed in the Window menu. But not in Windows, where the list of working files should be placed in the Window menu (which can be very long, and filling the menu with the Studio list is completely impractical), and the commands for manipulating them (Tile, Cascade, Close All,..) .

Although the panels are like a window, they are the working environment of the application, which, like its toolbars, ruler, grid, etc., is set from the View menu, so that Studio located in it made sense (the setting of the environment was separated from the organization of work files, whereas now it mixes it together unnecessarily). The nesting of panels in the Studio submenu was complicated (now there is also setting in two levels), but it was only a problem when setting up multiple panels at the same time, when you have to repeatedly click through the menu structure. However, this problem (requested many times) was not solved by moving to another menu anyway, and therefore the configuration of the Studios should be solved in a fundamentally different way.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

12 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

Although the panels are like a window...

They are not just like a window; they are windows that can be opened & closed, just like any other ... including even the document window(s).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7