You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

More usage out of Affinity Suite

So my job is production printing. Have had some success and some failures in using Affinity Suite. The huge overriding plus is it opens PDFS for editing pretty darn well. Yes, you do need the font's but that's not an impossible feat these days.

So we got a job from a client (B&W Ad for two different sizes in just black) who wanted to make edits to the pdf. Since Acrobat is not always the best pdf editor and the changes were more than slight, I decided to go for it in Affinity Publisher 2. The size the customer wanted and what they gave did not jibe, but they did have an outline rule to go by. Good. So opened directly into  AP2, and it flowed as it should. Only drawback was the pdf was in "Gray" which means upon export it process out to all four (4) colors. I could only wish InDesign had search similar fill/stroke!! Made short shrift of the work.

Affinity Suite keeps getting better, and I won't let the problems (doesn't like some fonts upon output) dissuade me from using it.

Thanks Serif!!!

Hi @Rodi, you are absolutely right the Affinity Designer and Publisher V2 both are great options for editing and doing the changes in pdf files but there are some few drawbacks as well and I am also hopeful that with new upcoming updates would bring more and more solutions. This would make Affinity Suite more useful than the Adobe CC Suite.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok,

So yes there are some potential drawbacks with editing pdfs in Publisher. I think as a whole, Affinity is not ready for prime time. Presently I am having issues importing large pictures into Publisher, it needs to work like every other program that is a page layout program in that sense. Variable Fonts are a big deal too. I have to fiddle around with exporting to PDF too, it's not up to par. Mind you my critiques are not "don't get it" but "please fix it" to affinity.

It;s a great product at a fair price and it does some amazing stuff, and some stuff is frustrating. I keep trying it to use it more and more. One thing is now that Adobe no longer has Pantone spot colors (for the most part) Affinity is the way to go. Not having spot colors was a big mark against a lot of ok programs.

19 minutes ago, Rodi said:

Presently I am having issues importing large pictures into Publisher, it needs to work like every other program that is a page layout program in that sense.

What is your problem?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 weeks later...

Keeps crashing, but it's not insolvable as I change to the other program. But I find more and more that I use Affinity Publisher.

Mind you I am in commercial printing, where speed accuracy and repeatability are necessary tools of the trade.