You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Suggestions to be able to make the change to Affinity Designer

Greetings, I work with Visual Identity Design and UI Design

The Affinity Designer V2 update is amazing, I think I'm one step away from making the switch from Adobe to Affinity, there are still a few details I was hoping to see in this update:

1.- An option to change the width of the line in a single node, for example, draw a line and make it thicker at one end and thinner at the other without having to convert to curves, which does not stop being a line , in illustrator it's the "Stroke Width" tool. In the stroke editing panel, one solution is that when the stroke is "None" it will allow you to edit the "Start" and "End", at this time the % is locked, it only allows you to edit if you section a tip type, like an arrow, it could leave an additional type of trail, eg triangular.

image.png.4cf72153ab344ef2e82dcc6ada7d1554.png

2.- Curve the corners of the nodes without using the "Corner" tool. This tool is very good, it helps to give better attention to flex nodes with many options, but it generates an extra step if I want to flex nodes faster. In Illustrator when you select a shape you automatically see the points to curve each corner, for example in logo creation where you experiment a lot with shapes you have that extra step of selecting the tool, clicking the node, selecting the rounded curve and apply. you waste a lot of time...

3.- Close shapes, when I want to join two nodes, in Illustrator I just have to select one node with the pen and join it to the other, they automatically join into a single shape, in Affinity I have to apply the "Close curves", or first section the two nodes I want to join, then select the feather and join them. It's an extra step that wastes some time. Joining and breaking shapes are processes that are carried out a lot in the creation of logos or illustrations, this must be as efficient as possible.

I don't know if these suggestions have a solution in this version and I don't know how to apply them, if so I would greatly appreciate your advice through this medium. If I don't have an alternative, I hope these observations will help you apply them in future updates.

They did a great job with these updates and in my opinion the user interfaces surpassed Adobe's. I hope to completely replace Illustrator with this program.

ATT. Mr. Javier Hernandez
Graphic Designer
https://javi-design.com/

Hi @Javier6754 and welcome to the forums...

1 hour ago, Javier6754 said:

1.- An option to change the width of the line in a single node, for example, draw a line and make it thicker at one end and thinner at the other without having to convert to curves, which does not stop being a line, in illustrator it's the "Stroke Width" tool. In the stroke editing panel, one solution is that when the stroke is "None" it will allow you to edit the "Start" and "End", at this time the % is locked, it only allows you to edit if you section a tip type, like an arrow, it could leave an additional type of trail, eg triangular.

This can be achieved in part by apply a pressure curve to the stroke...

2.- Curve the corners of the nodes without using the "Corner" tool. This tool is very good, it helps to give better attention to flex nodes with many options, but it generates an extra step if I want to flex nodes faster. In Illustrator when you select a shape you automatically see the points to curve each corner, for example in logo creation where you experiment a lot with shapes you have that extra step of selecting the tool, clicking the node, selecting the rounded curve and apply. you waste a lot of time...

Agree this would be a nice addition to speed up workflows... though simply assigning a keyboard shortcut to the corner tool e.g., C makes for a pretty speedy workflow as well... I guess some of this is getting used to a slightly different way of working...

3.- Close shapes, when I want to join two nodes, in Illustrator I just have to select one node with the pen and join it to the other, they automatically join into a single shape, in Affinity I have to apply the "Close curves", or first section the two nodes I want to join, then select the feather and join them. It's an extra step that wastes some time. Joining and breaking shapes are processes that are carried out a lot in the creation of logos or illustrations, this must be as efficient as possible.

Simply clicking the first node of your shape when using the pen tool will close the shape without any additional intervention (the pen cursor shows a small circle to the bottom right when in close curve mode) though I assume you're more referring to closing open shapes? Again you can apply a keyboard shortcut to the Join tool e.g., J, so when you've created your open shape using the pen tool, Cmd (Ctrl) A followed by J makes for a reasonable and pretty fast workflow...

Breaking shapes can be achieved using the Knife tool and deleting sections of a shape or curve by holding Ctrl with the Node tool selected and clicking the section between two nodes, you will see a red cross to the bottom right of the Node tool...

I don't know if any of these suggestions help but they've what I've adopted and personally I find they make for a pretty fast workflow... I'm sure others will have alternative ideas and suggestions to add to the mix...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, Magic Mouse

Close shapes, when I want to join two nodes, in Illustrator I just have to select one node with the pen and join it to the other, they automatically join into a single shape

With the pen tool, hold down the cmd key (idk which one it is on windows) and drag the last node on to the first one. It will snap to join and close the curve. 

It would be nice to have something to adjust line stroke widths similar to the Width tool in Adobe Illustrator. Also, Adobe Illustrator's implementation of vector-based brushes for line strokes is also pretty nice. I've taken lines of lettering and turned them into brushes to apply to a line stroke and then use the Width tool to create some interesting effects. Finally, those effects can be "expanded" into raw vector paths -that way the artwork can be easily exported to other graphics applications that don't natively support those effects.