You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Need help with logo creation

Hello,

I'm brainstorming on some logo ideas. The objective is to ultimately develop a logo for a photoblog about travel and beer tasting/breweries throughout the state. It may be used on instagram, too, so I have to sort of contain things in a circle since Instagram logos are circular.

Was thinking that since the shape of the US state of Arizona (pic attached) sort of resembles a mug, I'd maybe fill it with some beer and add a handle. Probably corny, but I just need to start somewhere.

I'm not sure of how to go about filling the shape with beer, and adding a handle. I'm assuming Designer is the appropriate software, but I have Affinity Photo and Publisher as well. Can someone could get me started and perhaps share some thoughts on how to add a mug handle and a beer-like fill? Or any other ideas would be great, too.

Thank you so much in advance for any help.

Chris

Screen Shot 2023-03-03 at 1.26.59 AM.png

Both, Designer and Photo would be good for this task. I'd prefer Designer in order to make it simple and keep it all vector. Logos best need to be simple and recognisable.

But about the how-to, these are so fundamentally basics, that I'd suggest you start without a logo (or hire someone doing this for you) and watch some tutorials about Affinity's apps. Your questions are like "I'd like to drive a car. I know, there's something with steering wheel, accelerator pedal and break. Can someone just tell me which ones to use so I can drive on the Highway?"

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

Find a public domain svg map of Arizona
Simplify it a bit ie remove nodes along the wiggly bit
Put it in a circle for the Instagram limits
Bend the top and bottom edges to look more like a glass
In anticipation Of St Paddy's day, find a web image of Guinness
Copy the colours, I've used gradients for the beer and head
Draw a basic handle
Squish it a bit sideways and place as desired

This was done in Photo then redundant bits removed in Notepad++
At least you know what not to do now, as Andy05 wrote above, hire someone to do it
So here's a jpg to amuse the world and an svg to play with. Good luck

ps you'll never see a head like that on Guinness unless I've poured it

Guinness.jpg

Guinness.svg

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

Thanks, David, this is so helpful and is how I imagined it.

BTW, I have used all of the affinity programs but only sporadically, and sometimes need a little reminder of where to start. It's sort of like when I cook. I do it so sparingly that I sometimes forget how to use the digital control pad on the stove. I know what I want to make, and once my memory is jostled, I'm usually off to making something interesting. Thank you so much for understanding and for your kind help.

Chris

3 hours ago, Andy05 said:

But about the how-to, these are so fundamentally basics, that I'd suggest you start without a logo (or hire someone doing this for you) and watch some tutorials about Affinity's apps. Your questions are like "I'd like to drive a car. I know, there's something with steering wheel, accelerator pedal and break. Can someone just tell me which ones to use so I can drive on the Highway?"

Thanks so much for your help!