You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Request: Jagged brushes

Can you give some examples? I have no clue what brushes could have to do with the topic of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Expressionism_(cinema)

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Welcome @TheJakalope Frankentoon's stuff is amazing and their brushes are very well-crafted. I can personally recommend. I use Clip Studio normally for my painterly/ink work generally, but their stuff is on par with brushes we'd find there and I'm increasingly working there more. If you have Affinity V2, there's also their pack that comes for free for all owners (see @walt.farrell's post below). It includes one of the packs of Frankentoon brushes that might work for you:

Free Frankentoon brushes for V2 users:
image.thumb.png.16c930c721902ee9673d1564a5e757fe.png

Can be claimed here, scroll to the bottom to where it says "Claim Now"

As for other options, check out their shop.

They have basic comic book brushes as well, they're like $2 (USD). (Though their inks in this kit are vector-based, not sure if that is an issue)

image.png.6989efb3b69705d648ed260db62c781f.png

14 hours ago, debraspicher said:

If you have Affinity V2, there's also their pack that comes for free for all owners.

For clarity, not all owners. Only those users who upgraded from V1 to V2 by purchasing a Universal license.

Edited by walt.farrell
Correction to who it applies to.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Late addition, but I am picking up new brush packs slowly, so also learning what is out there. Yes, they are paid, but shows what options are available out there. Some of their materials are in the "jaggy" category. Their Stipple brushes, ironically, I like their liner pens the best because they mimic a Micron look. That can be used to create decent jags depending on the look you are going for. So something to consider, is looking into "liner" type ink brushes.

https://www.truegrittexturesupply.com/collections/affinity

These sets are on Affinity's shop for the 50% off sale. (Promo code: GET50)

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/store/product/the-rusty-nib-by-true-grit-texture-supply/
https://www.truegrittexturesupply.com/collections/affinity/products/stipple-studio-for-photoshop-procreate-affinity-clipstudio

Some tips: I find when trying to "mimic" paper look, it helps to work at really large DPIs and large scale. Many inks "print" optimally at 300-600DPI,  especially tones. It can always be scaled down and it gives more flexibility for testing different line weights. So something to consider also when trying brushes, to play around with the scale of your document and try different DPIs to find your preference.

You can also open up another window at a different zoom using View > New View and have those side-by-side to get a comparison at different scales. Also if you plan to print at all, use Ctrl + 8 as much as to preview what that document will look like at "print size". (Double-check it with a ruler on screen, but it should be accurate--at least it has always been on mine).

Just some thoughts. Take care.